Propecia And Birth Defects???

Just wondering if there has been research done on men who use Propecia and get a woman pregnant while on it? Just kinda curious as to whether or not it is bad to do this (hope to have kids one day), and whether it will affect the child at all?

Cheers,

danger

Just wondering if there has been research done on men who use Propecia and get a woman pregnant while on it? Just kinda curious as to whether or not it is bad to do this (hope to have kids one day), and whether it will affect the child at all?

Cheers,

danger

A few men in the Merck study did get their partner pregnant while on finasteride. To date no birth defects have been recorded as being caused by the sperm from a man on finasteride.

However, the pregnant woman can't even touch the pills as finasteride might interfere with development of the male fetus if absorbed through her skin.

PeterMac@dhi.gr

www.dhimedical.com

I am an independent hair transplant surgical consultant and hair loss researcher. Any opinions I have posted are my own. I am working on a few hair loss/transplant projects and will be making some announcements concerning them in the near future.

I understand your point - it's very responsible for you to think about it.

I'm not anti-drug for most things by any means. I'm just super cautious for meds like Propecia that will be taken for 40+ years for the patient, and for soon-to-be parents.

My mother-in-law took an rx drug, which didn't affect her. But, as a direct result, my wife had to have a circlage (stitched up her uterus) and be on complete bed rest for 6 months with each of our 4 kids. I understand that our 3 daughters have a chance of having problems as well, in addition to increased risks of clear cell cancer.

All a result of a generation back taking something that was approved.

My Pix and Hair Mentor page with advice on Choosing a Doc, anti-swelling and healing advice

My wife and I had to go to a genetic counselor because my wife had taken some prescribed pain pills before she realized she was pregnant. After clearing up that matter, I asked about the propecia. She told me that there was nothing to worry about since very few types of drugs can affect sperm. Hope that eases your mind.