Should I continue minoxidil after getting extreme scalp irritation?

Hi,

Started Rogaine foam 5% about a month ago.  After increasing from once/day to twice/day my scalp now has an itchy rash similar to a sunburn.

Can't decide if I should continue or not.  On one hand I get the idea of sticking with it.  The side effects can lessen after the body gets used to the medicine.  On the other hand I'm not sure if my scalp will be able to tolerate it.  I do also get occasional flare ups (without minoxidil) of seborrheic dermatitis.  Nothing too extreme though.  I do have prescription 2% Nizoral from a dermatologist.

So should I continue using minoxidil and hope my scalp will eventually get used to the medicine?

Should I try using less minoxidil foam and only once/day?

Or am I wasting time and a bunch of unnecessary shedding for something that I will eventually just have to quit?

Anyone had an issue with extreme scalp irritation using minoxidil foam that eventually got better?  What did you do after the irritation developed?

Thanks

Edited by Evan42
  • Like 1

Evan,

my first question is, did you experience the same or any scalp irritation for that matter when you use Rogaine foam only once daily? Also, I must admit I’m a bit surprised to hear that you experienced scalp irritation from Rogaine foam when the foam lacks the propylene glycol ingredient known to irritate the scalp that’s found in the liquid.  I know you said Farm in your message but did you happen to mean solution or liquid?

also, how long were you using monoxidal one daily before switching to twice daily? If you were only using it for a couple days or a couple weeks before switching, then stomping its uses really no big deal because there were really no benefits acquired from the medication yet. On the other hand, if you’re using Rogaine for over six months for example, you won’t lose any hair you’ve either regone or maintained from using the oxdale if you stop it’s use.

Personally, this is what I would do.

Stop using the minoxidil until your scalp irritation clears up. Hopefully that won’t take any longer than a week or two at the most. Then, resume if you wish at only once daily instead of twice because it seems like based on what you said that you didn’t have a problem until you switched to using it twice daily.

if you continue to have problems, you can consider using it only once every other day or stops use all together. Whether or not you had any benefit from its use can help you determine whether or not to give up or continue trying at a lesser quantity or frequency.

Please let us know what you decide to do and how it goes

Rahal Hair Transplant .

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 hour ago, Evan42 said:

Hi,

Started Rogaine foam 5% about a month ago.  After increasing from once/day to twice/day my scalp now has an itchy rash similar to a sunburn.

Can't decide if I should continue or not.  On one hand I get the idea of sticking with it.  The side effects can lessen after the body gets used to the medicine.  On the other hand I'm not sure if my scalp will be able to tolerate it.  I do also get occasional flare ups (without minoxidil) of seborrheic dermatitis.  Nothing too extreme though.  I do have prescription 2% Nizoral from a dermatologist.

So should I continue using minoxidil and hope my scalp will eventually get used to the medicine?

Should I try using less minoxidil foam and only once/day?

Or am I wasting time and a bunch of unnecessary shedding for something that I will eventually just have to quit?

Anyone had an issue with extreme scalp irritation using minoxidil foam that eventually got better?  What did you do after the irritation developed?

Thanks

I'd stop. I had this happen to me before when I was using Costco brand minoxidil liquid. My forehead and scalp turned bright red. My derm told me it was because I was allergic to some ingredient in the solution so he told me to switch to Rogaine brand name foam which was really expensive. I also have eczema but not what you have, atopic dermatitis. So you have sensitive skin, it'll get worse instead of going away. 

I'd see a doctor on what to do. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

Okay thanks for the reply.

Yes, it's Rogain 5% foam. I think I just have a sensitive scalp as I have occasional flare-ups of seborrheic dermatitis.

So I used the foam at once/day for about 3 weeks.  Then after about 1 week of using the foam twice/day the rash/irritation developed.

Also, I think I might have been applying more foam than needed to each area of the scalp.  I will try applying a reduction of foam next after the rash resolves.

So if I end up using the minoxidil for a while only to find out eventually my scalp can't tolerate it, would I be left with nothing but extra hair fall due to the inflamation? Or would the extra hair loss grow back because it has not fallen due to DHT?

• Like 1

These are questions for a doctor. I don't use Rogaine anymore, been off for like 4 years. Use finasteride instead. 

5 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Why dont you use rogaine? I've seen pretty awesome regrowth with it so far

Used it for 5 years and it didn't do anything besides empty my wallet a bit. 

• Like 1