How do I know if a clinic is good?

So there is a hair clinic near me, it has a huge following on YouTube, shows results on YouTube, praised by clients…the few that post their videos, have yt channels. 

I have asked the clinic to post their results on this website, they said they would but still not done. In most of the videos, they show results from a far not zoomed in, sometimes they do zoom in. I have also noticed they use multi grafts in their hairlines ( no microscopes ) but multi grafts don’t really bother me so that’s not an issue for me.

How do I know for sure it’s a good clinic? I can’t find any bad results or bad patients reviews, if I walk to the clinic see other patients results, will I be able to judge if the clinic is good? 

What is the criteria to judge a good clinic from a bad one? What red flags do I notice in my visit that should tip me off it’s bad

Edited by LookMaxx
  • Like 1

Just now, LookMaxx said:

That’s the thing, I don’t think people here would know about them. Here is a video where the doctor is showing results. 

https://youtu.be/GMaKJYEpAUY

That already is a concern. Not to say only the doctors recommended by this site are good, but they have the best reputation. I find a wall of diplomas in the background to be off-putting. Always consult with 3 - 4 clinics and avoid the temptation to go to the clinic that is nearest to you. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

Nevermind I got the answer.

They told me they don’t count the grafts and use the maximum number for best results.

I don’t feel comfortable going to a clinic that I don’t even know how many grafts are going to be taken out of me.

It is also tech driven clinic.

Surprised their results come out so good though 🫤

Edited by LookMaxx

Lookmaxx,

I’m not sure which clinic you’re speaking about however, I will say that if a clinic doesn’t count grafts or break them down further and count the number of hairs per graft and the total number of hairs, I’d be real weary of going to the clinic.

Also, while clinic posted results can tell the story accurately, some clinics do use tricks and other strategies to make their results appear better than they really are. I’m not suggesting that this clinic is doing this as I haven’t seen anything including photos or videos from them nor do I know their name.

But, in my opinion, I’d stick to selecting a hair transplant clinic recommended by this community and then research this website to view not only clinic posted results but patient posted results and experiences as well.

I typically tell prospective patients considering hair transplant surgery to do the following.

1. Start by looking at the surgeons recommended on this community, in particular the Coalition of Independent Hair Restoration Physicians.  Surgeons recommended on this community half met a demanding set of standards and are proved based on meeting those high standards rather than just the simple ability to pay a membership fee.  Furthermore, physician members of the coalition have met and even higher and more demanding set of standards and have proven to be amongst the best of the best in the profession.

2. Now even amongst the list of outstanding surgeons, not all surgeons are created equally. Therefore, while it’s tempting to select a surgeon based on price or location, try to avoid this as many individuals travel great distances to undergo surgery with an elite surgeon they are most impressed with.  Thus choose a surgeon based on their proven ability to produce outstanding results rather than cost or location

3. Narrow your selection down to 3 to 5 surgeons you are most impressed with.  You can do this by using this discussion forum to view examples of patient results posted by both the clinic and the patients.  Speak with and meet with real patients in person if possible. If not, video chat works pretty well.

5. come up with a list of consult questions to ask each surgeon/clinic you are considering. I created several different posts on this forum with good questions to ask doctors.  If you need help, let me know.

5. Consult with each doctor you are considering and ultimately, choose the surgeon you feel can best meet your goals.

I hope this helps  

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

The temple angle closure of that patient is not good, imo. If you just want hair growing from your head where you were bald, there’s literally thousands of clinics in turkey that can do that for you. Too many unanswered questions to randomly choose a clinic.

do techs do most of the work?

how involved is the doctor?

do they have good donor management skills?

do they use fine singles at the hairline?

etc

On 8/7/2022 at 11:49 PM, mavigo said:

That already is a concern. Not to say only the doctors recommended by this site are good, but they have the best reputation. I find a wall of diplomas in the background to be off-putting. Always consult with 3 - 4 clinics and avoid the temptation to go to the clinic that is nearest to you. 

Agreed about the diplomas. I went to a HT doctor for a large part due to qualifications- ISHRS, IBHRS, EHRS, part of DCD & TDD associations. Means nothing when you have techs doing the work. Ultimately they over harvested (having been told by several doctors subsequently), graft placement all over the place, doubles and triples on the hairline and not much growth. You can't do enough research, I thought I had done enough. I thought I had a good doctor, see's one patient a day, good reviews, he was sponsored on another forum etc. I was naive, they screwed up my transplant and not left me with much donor left.

Unless you see multiple good user reviews with clear shots don't consider them.

It's a minefield out there. I know there are doctors who make you sign a contract before your transplant so that you can't speak about them negatively on any social media/forums. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, 5BetaReductase said:

The temple angle closure of that patient is not good, imo. If you just want hair growing from your head where you were bald, there’s literally thousands of clinics in turkey that can do that for you. Too many unanswered questions to randomly choose a clinic.

do techs do most of the work?

how involved is the doctor?

do they have good donor management skills?

do they use fine singles at the hairline?

etc

I learned a few things

Doctor does the incisions, techs do the extraction and placement

I have seen the videos, the doc isn’t in the room, probably hangs around for a few minutes then disappears

No clue

They don’t use microscopes so multi in hairline but I don’t really care about this

They do get results/growth though so must be doing something right and not a trash crappy hairmill type of clinic. 

On 8/8/2022 at 1:18 PM, LookMaxx said:

Nevermind I got the answer.

They told me they don’t count the grafts and use the maximum number for best results.

I don’t feel comfortable going to a clinic that I don’t even know how many grafts are going to be taken out of me.

It is also tech driven clinic.

Surprised their results come out so good though 🫤

So they don't count how many grafts are being taken from the donor area?  They use the maximum number for best results? Screw that clinic

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Johnny129 said:

Agreed about the diplomas. I went to a HT doctor for a large part due to qualifications- ISHRS, IBHRS, EHRS, part of DCD & TDD associations. Means nothing when you have techs doing the work. Ultimately they over harvested (having been told by several doctors subsequently), graft placement all over the place, doubles and triples on the hairline and not much growth. You can't do enough research, I thought I had done enough. I thought I had a good doctor, see's one patient a day, good reviews, he was sponsored on another forum etc. I was naive, they screwed up my transplant and not left me with much donor left.

Unless you see multiple good user reviews with clear shots don't consider them.

It's a minefield out there. I know there are doctors who make you sign a contract before your transplant so that you can't speak about them negatively on any social media/forums. 

Sorry to hear that, I thought I did my research too. I think the number of good HT surgeons is very small, I think the best way to measure is by results and by results I mean hundreds of photos and videos, multiple angles like Hasson & Wong. 

Diplomas are useless, even the worst of doctors have many. So using diplomas as a backdrop to a patient interview is a sign of a bad clinic in my opinion. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

• 4 weeks later...

So after spending some time on this forum, I have learned the only way to find out is through results. Even the top clinics use techs, for example this photo I found posted here 

A92E3AE7-62CC-4F2E-B8D2-9DDD34F334B4.thumb.jpeg.f9f5aaf1eead390581d993af2f6803f9.jpeg

very few doctors do the surgery themselves all rely on techs. 

I still don’t know if the clinic is trash, I don’t care about multis in hairline which is the only downside as long as I get results I am happy. They don’t seem to over heat either.  I have a little more time before I decide so gonna research more

39 minutes ago, LookMaxx said:

So after spending some time on this forum, I have learned the only way to find out is through results. Even the top clinics use techs, for example this photo I found posted here 

A92E3AE7-62CC-4F2E-B8D2-9DDD34F334B4.thumb.jpeg.f9f5aaf1eead390581d993af2f6803f9.jpeg

very few doctors do the surgery themselves all rely on techs. 

I still don’t know if the clinic is trash, I don’t care about multis in hairline which is the only downside as long as I get results I am happy. They don’t seem to over heat either.  I have a little more time before I decide so gonna research more

You should care about multis in the hairline bc that typically looks terrible

1 hour ago, Calihome1 said:

You should care about multis in the hairline bc that typically looks terrible

This was posted by them recently, are you telling me this looks terrible? I would be ecstatic with results like this and get my life back

DC0C049D-A89C-4FF8-8992-7E0A4274562B.jpeg.40b0f7e014b28b9592ff1fa8893fd9c8.jpeg0BD5A517-D474-40BF-9547-8E5DDE263E58.jpeg.ae49ef9847b3961d1c3635226548abca.jpeg8D889B70-936D-4511-8D03-4176FF5694A0.jpeg.507974ae3ed3d6ebb718848fcc0e3b8f.jpeg131DC378-7304-40A9-84B2-A46EE5FE06FC.jpeg.a92d84638bc0deca0195dfac30f63a72.jpeg

• Valued Contributor
On 8/8/2022 at 8:23 AM, LookMaxx said:

What is the criteria to judge a good clinic from a bad one?

In a nut shell, research and patience. Look at the forum's recommended list of surgeons and look to find one that produces excellent results on a regular basis on patients with hair loss similar to yours. Who is the clinic that you are referring to?