Cheaper transplant ok for short hair?

Hi,

M 28, have been considering a transplant in Turkey for a while. Very grateful for this forum in highlighting some of the slightly dodgy results you risk when using one of the cheaper clinics. I was told by Dr Bicer that I need 3200 grafts and possibly more in future. This isn't affordable for me. I wanted to ask people's view on whether a cheaper option (c.4/5k) would be risky if I was planning to keep the hair short/buzz cut style - so essentially just getting a transplant to restore the hairline? Would this mitigate the risks e.g. around follicles not being inserted perfectly and growing in different directions, or would it be even worse?

Thanks,

J

• Like 1

Hi Peber,

I would say that getting a cheap hair transplant is certainly risky and I'd urge you to save for one performed by someone reputable such as Dr Bicer. Your donor is finite and you don't want to be putting it in the hands of people deemed a risk. 

• Like 2

• Moderators

No. It is possible it could even look worse with short hair because it will be impossible to hide any of it by combing over the area. Hairline design and graft angles are very important. Too many people new to hair transplants think they can go anywhere and just get more hair and it will automatically look better.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

If you wanted to have a buzz cut after a hair transplant you may not have a good view of what a hair transplant actually looks like. I think you should look at results of people that get 3.2k grafts implanted and how it looks after and compare it to their before. Look at their hair quality, the persons hair length, and the visibility of what you would consider appropriate to the hair style and match it to your own.

I definitely do not think you should get a hair transplant if you do not budget for it appropriately. No matter what type of surgery you get its ALWAYS a gamble. However, going to cheaper options will never be worth the risk between overharvesting, poor donor, mismanaged grafts, transection, and many other reasons.

Dr. Bicer is always spoken on this forum so look at some of her results. Never skimp out when it coems to surgery.

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

2 minutes ago, peber said:

Hi,

M 28, have been considering a transplant in Turkey for a while. Very grateful for this forum in highlighting some of the slightly dodgy results you risk when using one of the cheaper clinics. I was told by Dr Bicer that I need 3200 grafts and possibly more in future. This isn't affordable for me. I wanted to ask people's view on whether a cheaper option (c.4/5k) would be risky if I was planning to keep the hair short/buzz cut style - so essentially just getting a transplant to restore the hairline? Would this mitigate the risks e.g. around follicles not being inserted perfectly and growing in different directions, or would it be even worse?

Thanks,

J

If you want the best chance of a good result you need to be choosing a Dr that’s going to be involved in the procedure and is proven/reliable. Dr Bicer is one of the better options, you could also consider Dr Turan or Dr Gur, they are still good options (Dr Turan is forum recommended) and are approx half the cost. 
But as always we say don’t lest cost be the driving factor, it’s always worth saving up if needed. Everyday we see a new post asking for the best/cheapest in Turkey, as opposed to who’s going to be the right Dr/Clinic for me.. massive difference between cheap and affordable.. Dr Turan is a good choice, I have no doubt that at some point his prices will change. 

You have it backwards. It’s most obvious you had a transplant when the hair is short - FUT with the linear scar and FUE has the dots/moth eaten appearance. If you want a buzzcut just get SMP. It’s cheaper.

• Like 2

if you are looking to do anywhere from a 3-5 guard buzzcut:

-The length will be long enough to cover all the fue scars

-the hair will be short enough that you could get horrible angles but it will still be too short too notice

This doesnt apply with FUT bc the line scar is more conspicious than FUE

However, if your hairline is way too low, that will be noticeable even with a buzzcut

I think its a horrible idea to get a HT and be "ok" with a bad result as long as you can buzz it. 

I really doubt you will feel good about this if all is said and done

If you are dead set on a very short hair cut, just accept natty baldness, or look into SMP...

Edited by HappyMan2021

Massively appreciate all the comments. 

TBH I really don't like the look of SMP. When I say buzzcut I mean like a 3-5.

Understood that there's still a big risk though. Will look into Dr Gur and Turan.

Thanks again! Still welcome any other thoughts.

• Moderators
2 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

a #3-5 buzzcut will look great with a hair transplant. 

I got a HT 2 months ago. Got a #3 buzzcut last week. Looks amazing

You still have to go to someone who knows what they are doing. Trying to cheap out and get a pluggy, unnaturally angled, too low, rounded at the corners hairline is not going to look good with a short cut.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

15 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

a #3-5 buzzcut will look great with a hair transplant. 

I got a HT 2 months ago. Got a #3 buzzcut last week. Looks amazing

Would be interested in any more info - doctor used etc, or even pics if you'd send privately/anonymously

31 minutes ago, peber said:

Would be interested in any more info - doctor used etc, or even pics if you'd send privately/anonymously

the first doctor was Shelley Lovitt. Horrible horrible doctor.

2nd doctor was James Harris. Very meh

3rd doctor was Mwamba. Amazing

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...
On 8/1/2022 at 4:07 PM, peber said:

Hi,

Thanks,

J

NO! Just don't! Save up money to go to a better doctor. A cheaper transplant will lead to an expensive repair. I went to a local doctor who told me his FUT would be cheaper and would look good. Needless to say, none of those two things turned out to be true. 

• Like 1

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

Shorter hair can actually make a bad transplant look worse. 

On 8/1/2022 at 9:14 PM, BeHappy said:

No. It is possible it could even look worse with short hair because it will be impossible to hide any of it by combing over the area. Hairline design and graft angles are very important. Too many people new to hair transplants think they can go anywhere and just get more hair and it will automatically look better.

I would agree with this. You'll also notice the density differential between the native hair and grafted hairs more starkly if the hair is very short. 

• Like 1