Average age of Balding Severity?

Of course everyone tends to lose hair at different times if at all…. But is there a time in a man’s life that balding seems to happen the fastest? Like a period of time maybe 20-25 or 40-45 where those predisposed to balding seem to lose the most? Is there an age where balding seems to slow down to a degree? Thanks 

• Like 1

Based on this forum, 21 - 28 is really aggressive. Slows down but still bad from 28 - 35. Slow but in rare cases can continue from 35 - 50. 50+ it’ll happen at at a super slow rate. 

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

Of course everyone tends to lose hair at different times if at all…. But is there a time in a man’s life that balding seems to happen the fastest? Like a period of time maybe 20-25 or 40-45 where those predisposed to balding seem to lose the most? Is there an age where balding seems to slow down to a degree? Thanks 

this is a great question 👏🏻

• Thanks 1

Just now, BaldBobby said:

so no need to take meds after 40?

by stabilizes I dont mean it stops, I mean its really  unlikely to have an outbreak like in younger age, so you know where you are headed, medication depends on the aggresiveness of your baldness and wether you have DUPA and want to secure your donor

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Z-- said:

Based on this forum, 21 - 28 is really aggressive. Slows down but still bad from 28 - 35. Slow but in rare cases can continue from 35 - 50. 50+ it’ll happen at at a super slow rate. 

LOL No. It tends to pick up again in higher age. As a matter of fact, in higher age only few men have still good hair! 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

LOL No. It tends to pick up again in higher age. As a matter of fact, in higher age only few men have still good hair! 

I mean that’s true, but my point was in terms of rate of loss WHEN it’s happening. Hair loss is progressive. By the time you’re old, nearly all men have hairloss, but that isn’t necessarily because it’s aggressiveness is higher in that age range. It’s just that with time, you’ll lose hair and so if you are fortunate enough to live to 70 or 80, you’ll have had an additional 20 or 30 years to lose hair. Doesn’t mean it’s aggressive - can be gradual during that period. 

People who have it bad in their 20s usually end up high Norwoods in their 30s. Whereas if you’re 50 and Norwood 3/4, it’ll probably take another 30 years to lose the equivalent of the 20 year loses in 5 - 10 years. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BaldV said:

by stabilizes I dont mean it stops, I mean its really  unlikely to have an outbreak like in younger age, so you know where you are headed, medication depends on the aggresiveness of your baldness and wether you have DUPA and want to secure your donor

Well maybe. What I see is  all the famous actors who had a good head of hair and they did lose the most significant part in higher age. I have seen it in my family too or from friends, guys who had a decent ehad of hair and then in their 60s lost a lot. So maybe you are right it is not a sudden onslaught but still a lot of loss.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Z-- said:

I mean that’s true, but my point was in terms of rate of loss WHEN it’s happening. Hair loss is progressive. By the time you’re old, nearly all men have hairloss, but that isn’t necessarily because it’s aggressiveness is higher in that age range. It’s just that with time, you’ll lose hair and so if you are fortunate enough to live to 70 or 80, you’ll have had an additional 20 or 30 years to lose hair. Doesn’t mean it’s aggressive - can be gradual during that period. 

People who have it bad in their 20s usually end up high Norwoods in their 30s. Whereas if you’re 50 and Norwood 3/4, it’ll probably take another 30 years to lose the equivalent of the 20 year loses in 5 - 10 years. 

i generally can agree.Also in higher men may have a lot of miniaturization and then it all adds up at a certain point. Who knows? I am no expert I just observe at the end most men are fXXed . It may not matter that much at that age though LOL

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

Well maybe. What I see is  all the famous actors who had a good head of hair and they did lose the most significant part in higher age. I have seen it in my family too or from friends, guys who had a decent ehad of hair and then in their 60s lost a lot. So maybe you are right it is not a sudden onslaught but still a lot of loss.

Lol actors have all fake hair, either systems or transplants

• Like 1

• Moderators

There's no real answer to this. Everyone loses hair differently. Mine was most aggressive between ages 18 to 25. I went from about NW 3 Vertex at 18 to NW 7 at 25. My brother went from full head of hair at 40 to NW 6 at early 50s, so his really speeded up tremendously after age 40.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

From what I've gathered. There is no answer to this question. DHT is the main reason most people lose their hair and they produce alot of it in their younger years hence more balding. However this isn't the case for everyone because as you age your DHT levels will drop by a degree but your sensitivity to DHT will go up.

• Like 1

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

So basically it could vary. I just don’t know if let’s say a 25 year old was NW4 did he go through the most aggressive  point and if he gets on Finasteride he will stabilize to maybe NW5 by 50 or is 25 still the beginning and like 30-35 is gonna be even harsher? Lol really hard to know for sure but I guess when did most of you all notice the most loss of hair and then when did you notice a slight plateau?

5 minutes ago, JoDimaggio22 said:

when did most of you all notice the most loss of hair and then when did you notice a slight plateau?

I was a Norwood 2.5 or Norwood 3 when I was 19. Within a span of 6 months in 2020 (20 years old). I went from Norwood 3, to almost slick bald Norwood 5. 

Edited by mister_25
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

12+ Months Finasteride + Minoxidil

3872 FUE w/ Dr Hasson | November 2022

There is really no good answer to this question I think because so much is genetic. I started losing in the crown around 26 but my hairline was totally fine up until like 31 which I guess is fairly rare. And when I say totally fine I mean like Norwood 0 or Norwood 1. I'm 33.5 now and the hairline has caught up to me, but my loss is also super slow. I've never looked down in the shower and seen any amount of hair really. When I dry my hair off with my hands after a shower I may see like 5-8 hairs on my hands. So I'm confident I will continue losing but the loss will be slow and I will probably never be a Norwood 6. 

• Like 1