Is a Buzz Cut Safe ~2 Months Post Op?

I had my hair transplant June 4-6th. During non-hair transplant times I like to keep my hair medium-length and just have a bit of stubble for facial hair, but now that I'm in the ugly duckling phase I'm aiming for a beard + #2 buzzcut or so. 

My recipient area is still a bit red and has a few, sporadic pimples throughout. My crown was worked on as well and seems to be a bit pimply. 

1) Is it safe to get a buzz cut a little less than 2 months post op?

2) Are the redness and pimples a non-issue for a buzzcut or do I need to wait for these to disappear?

3) If its not safe yet for me to get a buzz cut, what are some alternative methods my barber can do to get me as close as possible to a buzzcut? As I said above I normally keep my hair on the medium side, so I'm not super familiar with very short/cropped hairstyles. 

In this situation would I tell the barber to cut my hair as short as possible with scissors, or what would you say?

20220727_213123.jpg

20220727_213128 (1).jpg

20220727_213243 (1).jpg

20220727_213132.jpg

20220727_213239 (2).jpg

20220727_213144 (1).jpg

The answer may vary from clinic to clinic, so don't be alarmed if you get different answers, buuuut I feel very confident saying that it's more than safe for you to do so. The grafts are very anchored and secure at this point (and have been since around Week 2), and the only thing to be mindful of is to not irritate the skin. I actually started buzzing my full scalp a couple weeks after the procedure for the very same reason. The donor is likely already healed, so the only downside is the redness in the recipient area being fully exposed. I was able to wear a hat most of the time though anyway to cover that up, and when I couldn't wear a hat, it just looked like mild sunburn and nothing too alarming. 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

Safe from a technical PoV but my hair has just regrown almost long enough to fall over the recipient area so i'm more eager to keep it long. The only area of where it won't cover for quite a long time is the temple points, but usually i wear a hat for that. 

• Like 1