how often should you shampoo?

im currently using minoxidil 5% minoxidil foam twice a day along with topical fin once a day.

i included a pic of what my hair looks like after 3 sessions of hair products (min/fin) i usually wash before the 4th session.

how it works is i wash my hair the next night, then the other day, the next night, the other day. 

anyways, i just wanted to make sure my hair follicles are like notgetting too greasy and clogged? or whatever and its negatively impacting my hair

6BFBF337-7213-49C9-96EE-F74E3CAA0119.jpeg

CA7A7BD5-F4D4-427A-A557-09EDAA3E82FD.jpeg

F279C3C7-1054-4C38-BC48-657802F0473F.jpeg

Edited by zenmu

I think your shampoo routine is fine and wouldn't cause your hair to fall out. Your quality of hair looked similar to mine when I was in my teens and early 20s and I varied between shampooing every day and then periods where I would shampoo every 3-4 days. Hair loss still progressed. I think it's more important that you're on fin.

Zenmu,

based on the photos you presented, you have a very full and thick looking out of hair with absolutely no signs of hair thinning or hair loss. Now, I know that the way hair is styled and combed can cover thinning and bald areas.  And the fact that you’re taking both finasteride to minoxidil, were you advised to do this by a doctor?  Are there any areas of your scalp/hair that are on the thinner side or have you started taking these as preventative maintenance?

To answer your question, you can wash your hair normally.  But if you are applying minoxidil twice a day, just make sure that you apply the minoxidil after your shower.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Mate, you're absolutely effing insane going on meds with that head of hair. What are you thinking? 

Like, where are you even applying the topicals? Just all over the place? Please don't get on these meds until you need them and even then consider all the potential ramifications 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

1 hour ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Mate, you're absolutely effing insane going on meds with that head of hair. What are you thinking? 

Like, where are you even applying the topicals? Just all over the place? Please don't get on these meds until you need them and even then consider all the potential ramifications 

I'm guessing the OP has some frontal recession. I had the same situation when I was younger where my hair was real thick and I could cover up the hairline by keeping my hair long. I remember going to the dermatologist when I was about 20 and asking if he thought I was balding and he said no, that I have a lot of hair and maybe just have a naturally high hairline. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is OP knows his situation best. I don't know if minoxidil will be too helpful for him though as there doesn't seem to be any hair loss on the crown at the moment.

1 minute ago, AlexMeister21 said:

I'm guessing the OP has some frontal recession. I had the same situation when I was younger where my hair was real thick and I could cover up the hairline by keeping my hair long. I remember going to the dermatologist when I was about 20 and asking if he thought I was balding and he said no, that I have a lot of hair and maybe just have a naturally high hairline. 

I guess what I'm trying to say is OP knows his situation best. I don't know if minoxidil will be too helpful for him though as there doesn't seem to be any hair loss on the crown at the moment.

Minoxidil works on hairline. It basically works anywhere you have hair. It's a myth that it only works on the crown. 

Maybe he does have frontal recession, but maybe it's just a mature hairline that everyone gets regardless of if they're balding. Either way going on Fin in his situation is absolutely insane. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Minoxidil works on hairline. It basically works anywhere you have hair. It's a myth that it only works on the crown. 

Maybe he does have frontal recession, but maybe it's just a mature hairline that everyone gets regardless of if they're balding. Either way going on Fin in his situation is absolutely insane. 

Maybe so. All I know is I was in a very similar situation to OP when I was younger and people were telling me I wasn't balding because my hair was thick but I knew I was. If I started taking fin earlier, maybe my hair would be in better condition today. Plus, OP is taking topical fin so there's less risk for harmful side effects.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AlexMeister21 said:

Maybe so. All I know is I was in a very similar situation to OP when I was younger and people were telling me I wasn't balding because my hair was thick but I knew I was. If I started taking fin earlier, maybe my hair would be in better condition today. Plus, OP is taking topical fin so there's less risk for harmful side effects.

Less risk's that true. But still plenty of stories of sides from topical fin 

2 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Guys don’t listen to this guy he goes around posting studies about finasteride , trying to scare people . Finasteride and dutasteride the only way to stop hair loss, minoxidil won’t do nothing unless you stop hair being lost in the first place 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

Guys don’t listen to this guy he goes around posting studies about finasteride , trying to scare people . Finasteride and dutasteride the only way to stop hair loss, minoxidil won’t do nothing unless you stop hair being lost in the first place 

You might be right that DHT blockers are the only way to stop hair loss (Excluding HT's of course). But people should be educated about the potential side effects that come with these endocrine disruptors so they can make decisions for themselves. 

I think it's fair to say that if anyone should not be listened to, its you. I'm simply providing evidence that people can examine at their own will and make educated decisions based off of. Whereas you are making blanket statements based on your viewing of Kevin Mann Youtube videos... Lol be careful who you listen to folks

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

35 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

You might be right that DHT blockers are the only way to stop hair loss (Excluding HT's of course). But people should be educated about the potential side effects that come with these endocrine disruptors so they can make decisions for themselves. 

I think it's fair to say that if anyone should not be listened to, its you. I'm simply providing evidence that people can examine at their own will and make educated decisions based off of. Whereas you are making blanket statements based on your viewing of Kevin Mann Youtube videos... Lol be careful who you listen to folks

Who is Kevin Mann lol , you keep going on about this guy , is he a doctor . Im just stating facts that the only available medication to stop Hair loss is finasteride. Not saying their are not side effects,  but the only way your going to know if you get them is if you try, if you do then stop  . It’s because of these stories online that prevented me from initially taking it, the op here is taking fin and as result it’s very likely he would need  minimal intervention than two or more like you will need , that’s if your transplant even turns out good which is by far no guarantee. Also your mistaken with your reasoning that “ I’ll just get more  hair transplants” is dht will  minaturise your donor at some point. I assume your based in america so I hope If you are going down this route your going with someone like konoir 

Edited by sukh123

1 minute ago, sukh123 said:

Who is Kevin Mann lol , you keep going on about this guy , is he a doctor . Im just stating facts that the only available medication to stop Hair loss is finasteride. Not saying their are side effects,  but the only way your going to know if you get them is if you try . It’s because of these stories online that prevented me from initially taking it, the op here is taking fin and as result it’s very likely he would need  minimal intervention than two or more like you will need , that’s if your transplant even turn out good which is by far no guarantee aswell as you negelecting with your reasoning that “ I’ll just get more “ is dht will  minaturise your donor. 

You sound unhinged mate and can barely string a coherent sentence together. I will leave this as is so as to not continue polluting this thread, but will say that lots of people go on Fin for short amounts of time and have long last sides. Topical probably safer, but still risky.

2 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

thanks for this response! yeah thats exactly it. if you look on my profile you can see my hairline. minoxidil has helped regrow small baby hairs and thicken in general and i just started fin to stop the further loss

1 minute ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

You sound unhinged mate and can barely string a coherent sentence together. I will leave this as is so as to not continue polluting this thread, but will say that lots of people go on Fin for short amounts of time and have long last sides. Topical probably safer, but still risky.

Yeh I’ve re typed it as my auto correct was playing up. I just said you don’t know till your try the drug .If you get sides then fine stop ,  but not even attempting to try the only medically proven drug to Stop Hair loss is naive without giving it a go. As I said i assume your from america so I hope your scheduled with konoir , or one of the top ones in europe who can use minimal grafts to get a great results as you said you had sufficient funds . As your going to need great donor management as dht will eventually thin your donor. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Zenmu,

based on the photos you presented, you have a very full and thick looking out of hair with absolutely no signs of hair thinning or hair loss. Now, I know that the way hair is styled and combed can cover thinning and bald areas.  And the fact that you’re taking both finasteride to minoxidil, were you advised to do this by a doctor?  Are there any areas of your scalp/hair that are on the thinner side or have you started taking these as preventative maintenance?

To answer your question, you can wash your hair normally.  But if you are applying minoxidil twice a day, just make sure that you apply the minoxidil after your shower.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

i was not advised which i know may seem dumb but i’ve done my research and if you look on my profile, you can see my hairline which shows hairloss. i work in healthcare and have seen various people on medications with side effects much worse than finasteride, i think it is worth the risk as my hair is important to me. i believe i hit puberty very early (11-13) and by 13 my hairline is as it is now. so i hope that as far as development i should be ok, but who knows, either way, i’m okay with the potential side effects.

also, thank you for answering my question!!

29 minutes ago, zenmu said:

i was not advised which i know may seem dumb but i’ve done my research and if you look on my profile, you can see my hairline which shows hairloss. i work in healthcare and have seen various people on medications with side effects much worse than finasteride, i think it is worth the risk as my hair is important to me. i believe i hit puberty very early (11-13) and by 13 my hairline is as it is now. so i hope that as far as development i should be ok, but who knows, either way, i’m okay with the potential side effects.

also, thank you for answering my question!!

If you've had this hairline since 13 then it's likely you actually have had no hair loss at all. Not everyone has the same hairline pattern. Just like how not everyone has the same color eyes or hair color. Just because your corners are recessed a bit DOES NOT mean you are losing hair.......

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

30 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

Yeh I’ve re typed it as my auto correct was playing up. I just said you don’t know till your try the drug .If you get sides then fine stop ,  but not even attempting to try the only medically proven drug to Stop Hair loss is naive without giving it a go. As I said i assume your from america so I hope your scheduled with konoir , or one of the top ones in europe who can use minimal grafts to get a great results as you said you had sufficient funds . As your going to need great donor management as dht will eventually thin your donor. 

Not everyone loses their donor area so this is nonsense. It's also the case that a lot of people continue losing hair despite being on high levels of DHT blockers so it's not true that these endocrine disruptors are guaranteed to prevent hair loss 

Edited by GoliGoliGoli

1 hour ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Not everyone loses their donor area so this is nonsense. It's also the case that a lot of people continue losing hair despite being on high levels of DHT blockers so it's not true that these endocrine disruptors are guaranteed to prevent hair loss 

Edited by sukh123

16 minutes ago, sukh123 said:

Like I said I hope your going to the best, because your thinking on donor and hair loss is seriously misguided. Infact if you were, those doctors  would tell you that  mr endocrine . Hair transplants even if you go to the best are gamble so be prepared .  For the Majority it will slow the process of hair loss significantly and prevent further loss and some even regrowth , I myself had regrowth in the crown. But it’s obvious your set in your way so just hope if your going down this avenue and willing to do multiple transplants that you at least go the best which will significantly increase the chances of it going well. I’m lucky that I managed to get a couto consultation and hence willing to wait it out , as i want to maximise my chance of success and not go back and forth and deplete my donor

Once again your English is of such poor quality that it's not even worth reading what you have to say - barely coherent. And your reasoning is flawed too as much as one is even able to understand it. 

2 hours ago, zenmu said:

thanks for this response! yeah thats exactly it. if you look on my profile you can see my hairline. minoxidil has helped regrow small baby hairs and thicken in general and i just started fin to stop the further loss

If medication is helping you and not causing side effects, that's good. Seems other people are trying to influence you to stop, but I'm sure you know of your situation and if you have a family history of balding more so than random people on the internet know about.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Why are you bashing finasteride like you’re a doctor? I don’t understand why you would be against someone who is worried about hair loss trying their best to combat their issues about mpb when you don’t have the full story. If he got the prescriptions that means he had to have spoken with a doctor.

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

15 minutes ago, Vann said:

Why are you bashing finasteride like you’re a doctor? I don’t understand why you would be against someone who is worried about hair loss trying their best to combat their issues about mpb when you don’t have the full story. If he got the prescriptions that means he had to have spoken with a doctor.

Great point. Never in the history of medicine has a Dr prescribed something that ended up doing more harm than good. 

My point is very simple: Saving your hair is not worth risking your endocrine health. You're free to do whatever you want however. This is simply like, my opinion, man.

I also don't think I've ever told anyone not to get on Finasteride. I just think it's important to be aware of the potential side effects.  

Edited by GoliGoliGoli
  • Like 1