How many days should I stay before flying back?

My country is 8 hours via plane to where I am getting surgery. 

How many days should I rest in the hotel? Will do full days post surgery be enough? I would rather be home resting but some others have said stay for 5 days. Just sitting in the hotel will be well..boring. 

What are your experiences like?

i'd recommend at least three. that way your graft will be secure enough and you won't be worried as much about something happening to it. it can still be dislodged but it would take some force for it to happen. unless if you have nothing lined up until the next 2 weeks, then 10 days is usually agreed as when nothing would happen to the grafts unless damage severely.

• Like 2

I would stay until the scabs fall out (if you can afford). 

Hair transplant is a huge deal and a huge investment. You better protect as much as possible if you can. 

I'd stay until day 10-15 and ask the doctor or the most experienced nurse to perform the scab removal step. 

That way, you won't be panicking over potentially losing grafts or the whole "graft or scab" thing that happens post op etc...

• Thanks 1

Rocksteady22,

How long you choose to stay is really up to you. Personally, I traveled for two of my hair transplants. The first night was the night before the procedure and the second one was the one after.  The morning after my hair transplant, I went in for a brief check in and then I went right to the airport and flew home.

That said, it certainly can’t hurt just stay longer.  if you selected a reputable surgeon, complications should be minimal to nonexistent however, staying longer gives the opportunity to meet with the surgeon/clinical event any problems arise over the first several days.  At the very least it may give you some additional peace of mind.

in my opinion, check with The surgeon chosen and find out what they advise and Tim of how long you should stay, etc. Some surgeons do accommodate their patients for at least one night or more with overnight stays to nearby hotels.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

On 7/23/2022 at 9:05 AM, slimjerky said:

What happens if the grafts dislodge?  Does the doctor usually re-implant new ones?

I think it’s very rare for grafts to just dislodge, and it’s not something that just happens on its own. It would require either someone being careless, or the result of a freak accident. As long as you’re caring for them properly, keeping them clean, and not pulling on them, they should stay right in place. The first 72 hours are the most crucial when it comes to graft survival, and after that, it’s quite difficult to dislodge a graft. (More difficult than I think people realize, anyway!) 

OP - I’m glad you landed on a date to fly back. That sounds like a very reasonable amount of downtime to me, and what I would’ve chosen as well. 

As for a book rec, I’m currently reading a novel called “The Humans” by Matt Haig and am thoroughly enjoying it! :) 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56