Very low body hair

jr1986

I'm 36, I have hair on my legs(but not a lot) and a little on my arms but I have zero back hair and zero chest hair. Still to this day I only have a thin beard. 

Are there any issues with starting finasteride? There seems to be a couple of mentions on the Internet about it not working well in people like me but that may be un true. Just wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of this.

Thank you

Edited by jr1986

9 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

Unless you are needing to use body hair for a hair transplant I wouldn't worry. This debate has been ongoing for some time. All the best!

Thanks for the quick reply. They say you should research the whole thing but think I've been left with more questions than answers!

Probably gonna start .25mg every second day and see what's what. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

Body hair is genetic. For example, Mediterraneans tend to have more body hair on average, then say a person of East Asian descent. Finasteride would work well on both regardless of body hair. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

14 hours ago, jr1986 said:

I'm 36, I have hair on my legs(but not a lot) and a little on my arms but I have zero back hair and zero chest hair. Still to this day I only have a thin beard. 

Are there any issues with starting finasteride? There seems to be a couple of mentions on the Internet about it not working well in people like me but that may be un true. Just wondering if anyone here has any knowledge of this.

Thank you

Finasteride definitely does something to body hairs but not at the levels you would think. My body hair was increasing with new ones popping up including the beard getting more denser than in my early 20s, more than a year on finasteride my body hair definitely has thinned out/less denser and no new hairs popping up. The thick hairs I had are still there and my beard is dense as well, just it grows at a much slower pace.

I imagine fin only slows growth and stops new hairs from appearing but doesn’t do anything else to existing body hair. 

So don’t worry you won’t lose any body hair, at worst the thin hairs will disappear which I imagine are useless for hair transplant anyway 

Also you can try minoxidil for beard, I heard that people who grow their beard on min, the beard stays even after stopping minoxidil. It’s worth a try

Edited by LookMaxx

Thanks for the replies. I was more concerned that my low body hair was an indicator that I already have low dht, ideally I'd go get a test, but I'm pretty sure the NHS in the UK is not interested in doing blood tests for some 36 year old guy losing a few hairs given the backlog they have.

I know sensitivity to dht rather than dht itself is the main problem, but there seems to be anecdotal evidence that young guys with tons of body hair respond well. I'm the opposite.

On the other hand Asian men have low bodyhair and respond well to finasteride.