Go for a second transplant?

Hi everyone!

Hope you're all doing well :)

Was hoping for some insight from you experts!

Background

So i am currently 30 years old but had a small FUT procedure done when I was 28 - 2 years ago (1200 grafts on hairline and 600 on crown). I've attached photos of where I'm currently at hair wise.

I'm thinking of a second procedure to touch up and strengthen the hairline/area right behind it and the midscalp. While I have full coverage, the area right above my crown is super thin

I am at a place in my life at the moment where I can take time off work for an extended period of time, go through the ugly ducking phase, have the cash etc so figured it would be a good time. My hair is quite long at the moment (top >3 inches) so it makes providing details a tad more difficult but I've done my best with photos below.

I've been quoted around ~2000 grafts from a few different doctors (mind you I've had an FUT for 1800 grafts already) to:

1] Strengthen the hairline (i don't want it lowered, just boosted because while its location is OK, its sparse)

2] boost the midscalp

I've also been on finasteride for 7 years and its held up my hair quite well.

Is this a decent idea? Any suggestions? If I do this, it means I'll still have 2000 grafts for a third procedure if it comes to it, right? Want to be prudent here as well. 

Thanks for your guidance gentlemen :)

9.thumb.jpg.85f0d279f3dad2ca8699156ea4ba238b.jpg7.thumb.JPG.81f966c0f48b43c45130e1100e8ec7d8.JPGimage.thumb.jpeg.a1b10551de7f906e9b61fe5153ad1724.jpeg6.thumb.jpg.ef6ddc1f396acbd490fc81685d650552.jpg5.thumb.jpg.6f2f2280b54fceb3b7c5b6272db8ca74.jpg4.jpg.5654be7a2b6d0f610f0f3b2fed696417.jpg3.thumb.jpg.831d418566dd02c33c736386982b9c4d.jpg

Edited by FUT1800
More context

Greetings of the day, @FUT1800

Good to hear that you're on Finasteride for the last seven years, your Donor looks pretty good. The density of natural hairs is approximately double as compared to the transplanted hairs. At Eugenix, we believe in providing optimum density with a futuristic approach to the donor area. Looking at your case, I think the doctor will provide you the best information like graft count hair line augmentation.

If you want a one-to-one session with our surgeons and get your pictures evaluated, please send me a personalized message and I will be happy to assist you.

Regards,

Eugenix Hair Science 

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Seems to be a lot of talk lately around here of transplanted hairs miniaturizing. Depending on who you ask that is either totally normal or totally unexpected. Maybe someone more knowledgeable can address. 

It’s not bro science it’s just common sense. Donor hair on most people will miniaturise , you doctor will be able to establish this in more depth when they look at it which is why a pre consultation before going ahead with a procedure is prudent. Why else do you see older men, most who have donor hair but no hair on top ,it looks thinner than say wheN they were in 30’s or 20’s. No scalp hair is dht proof

Edited by sukh123
  • Like 2

Fair enough but I've been on finasteride for like 7 years.

I'm really wondering if its worth "saving" my grafts since I'm not technically bald or to go forward with another procedure? I'll stay on fin of course

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

MPB is progressive. Surgery won't halt it's progression. These are simple facts we all know. I would stay on finasteride as you sound like you tolerate it well. You could add minoxidil (topical or oral). I would leave as is for the time being because at 28 you are going to need your grafts over the long haul of your lifespan. All the best.

• Like 1

So you think given the current state of my hair, hairline etc at 30 years old, its not worth the risk of getting surgery? Better to wait?

Damn, I was really hoping to boost coverage and density throughout and I just don't know what else to do 

• Like 2

I see healthy hairs

Transplanted hairs will never have the density of native hairs. 

If I was you, I would get off this forum, focus on life and not my hairs anymore but we’re obviously two different people 

Edited by LookMaxx

I honestly think it looks fine. The issue is your skin is lighter and your hair is jet black (blatantly obvious statement) so I think you'll always be perceiving your hairline to be "not enough" based off that optical illusion/strong contrast. 

But instead of asking this forum for their advice, get a few virtual consults from some recommended physicians and see what they think. 

FUE 2400 Grafts (2023) - Dr. Panine; Chicago Hair Transplant Clinic

FUT 1400 Grafts (2019) - Dr. Steven Paul Holt; Holt Hair Restoration/Bella

There are two types of loss.  The type you see and the type you don't see.  What you do see in the sink, brush, pillowcase, is normal.  The follicle gets tired of producing hair and goes into a dormant period.  3-4 months later the hair returns.  This will happen randomly to all the hair in your head and not all at the same time.  100 hairs a day is considered normal.  Hair loss is different.

Under a bright light look at the hair in the temporal areas.  Look at each strand.  Notice the caliber. Some thick and robust while others not so much so.  Some are so fine, it seems they're not growing at all.  Eventually the hair dissipates and disappears.  We refer to this as miniaturization.

Propecia and Rogaine are considered to be the best meds for retention in the crown.  The problem is "expectations." Most patients get frustrated about a year later when they see no visual change - not understanding - the meds are not intended for you to grow anything.  Rather, they are to keep you from losing more.  So, if a year later you look the same, the meds did what they were intended to do.  You may want to research PRP and Laser.  These can actually help reverse the thinning.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

11 hours ago, Gatsby said:

MPB is progressive. Surgery won't halt it's progression. These are simple facts we all know. I would stay on finasteride as you sound like you tolerate it well. You could add minoxidil (topical or oral). I would leave as is for the time being because at 28 you are going to need your grafts over the long haul of your lifespan. All the best.

More words of wisdom from the Gats and I could not agree more…you’re still young and have decent coverage…if it were me, I would wait on doing more surgery until I needed to.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

3 minutes ago, gillenator said:

More words of wisdom from the Gats and I could not agree more…you’re still young and have decent coverage…if it were me, I would wait on doing more surgery until I needed to.

Guaranteed that Adrian always provides great advice ! 😉 as well as some particularly good quotes ! 

• Like 1