From Topical to Oral Minoxidil, From Finasteride to Dutasteride

jim1973

After several years of decent results (maintaining hair) with topical Min and oral Fin, I'm no longer responding and now see my hair starting to thin and miniaturize.  Also, the topical Min is making my head extremely itchy and is becoming intolerable.  I was thinking about making 2 changes at once and going to oral Min and replacing Fin with Dutasteride.  Because of the various side effects, I'm wondering of making both changes at once would be okay or if I should make one change before the other so looking for recommendations on the timing of these changes.  Also, neither my doctor nor my dermatologist will prescribe oral Min or Dutasteride for hair loss.  I respect their decisions of not wanting to prescribe off label but its frustrating since I have no history of family heart disease.  Without a prescription, the only place I see that offers Dut is STRUT (oral and topical) but I don't think they offer oral Min.  I'm also not sure how reputable Strut is or how well compounded their products are.  Looking for some advice on how/where to obtain either of these if possible.  Thx.  

Pictures please. 

Forget about general practicioners and dermatologists bro...

99% of them don't know s***. 

Find a very good hair transplant surgeon or a specialized trichologist. 

Ask for a Dutasteride prescription. They are VERY open about writing off labels prescription for Avodart and Loniten. 

• Like 1

You can get a dutasteride prescription from medicalwellnesscenter (google it). I wouldn’t bother with STRUT. I got an oral minoxidil prescription from my hair transplant surgeon. I think you can get an oral min prescription from McGrath Medical if you do a consultation with them otherwise just reach out to different  clinics and dermatologists. 

Edited by Tiger2050
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Update: took the plunge and switched from topical MIN to oral MIN (1.25mg).  I also begin adding in oral Dutasteride twice/week (every 3 days) and still take my oral Finasteride on the other 5 days.  I also began taking a few products from Nutrafol (DHT blocker and probiotics) around the same time.  I'm about 30-45 days in and I just noticed that the Nutrafol products contain Saw Palmetto.  I'm experiencing a pretty significant shed.  I'd like to think its because of this new regimen but I was already shedding well before these products, which caused me to take all of these actions recently in the first place.  I'm really hoping that this shed will subside really soon as its going quick.  Now I'm second guessing if my regimen of combining Fin, Dut and Saw Palmetto as DHT inhibitors is too much.  No real side effects other than the hair falling out at just the touch of my head, which is concerning.  

On 9/11/2022 at 6:06 PM, jim1973 said:

Update: took the plunge and switched from topical MIN to oral MIN (1.25mg).  I also begin adding in oral Dutasteride twice/week (every 3 days) and still take my oral Finasteride on the other 5 days.  I also began taking a few products from Nutrafol (DHT blocker and probiotics) around the same time.  I'm about 30-45 days in and I just noticed that the Nutrafol products contain Saw Palmetto.  I'm experiencing a pretty significant shed.  I'd like to think its because of this new regimen but I was already shedding well before these products, which caused me to take all of these actions recently in the first place.  I'm really hoping that this shed will subside really soon as its going quick.  Now I'm second guessing if my regimen of combining Fin, Dut and Saw Palmetto as DHT inhibitors is too much.  No real side effects other than the hair falling out at just the touch of my head, which is concerning.  

You’re likely shedding because you quit topical min cold turkey and switched to oral min. Speaking from personal experience, stopping topical min causes a long shed, even if you are on oral min, that could last up to 7-8 months. Just wait it out for an year, don’t get back on topical min or change anything about your regimen, constantly switching medications will cause more shedding. You can probably ditch the Nutrafol, it’s likely not doing much.

Edited by Tiger2050
  • Like 1

• Valued Contributor
On 7/9/2022 at 5:19 AM, jim1973 said:

After several years of decent results (maintaining hair) with topical Min and oral Fin, I'm no longer responding and now see my hair starting to thin and miniaturize.  Also, the topical Min is making my head extremely itchy and is becoming intolerable.  I was thinking about making 2 changes at once and going to oral Min and replacing Fin with Dutasteride.  Because of the various side effects, I'm wondering of making both changes at once would be okay or if I should make one change before the other so looking for recommendations on the timing of these changes.  Also, neither my doctor nor my dermatologist will prescribe oral Min or Dutasteride for hair loss.  I respect their decisions of not wanting to prescribe off label but its frustrating since I have no history of family heart disease.  Without a prescription, the only place I see that offers Dut is STRUT (oral and topical) but I don't think they offer oral Min.  I'm also not sure how reputable Strut is or how well compounded their products are.  Looking for some advice on how/where to obtain either of these if possible.  Thx.  

I would change one thing at a time and be patient. Otherwise you won’t  know what variable is doing what? All the best!

Edited by Gatsby
  • Like 1

I did actually continue topical MIN for the first 3 weeks I was taking oral MIN because I wasn't sure if my body would appreciate the sudden change or not.  Thank you for the advice.  I'm done making changes.  I'm going to stick with 1.25mg of oral MIN (although I think 2.5 is probably more effective) and don't plan on adding anything else.  If what I'm doing now doesn't get me to a good place, I may be out of options.  I forgot to mention that I have a HT scheduled in 7 months but probably won't go through with it if I can't stabilize my existing hair fall.  I'd hate to shore up my frontal third only to have my top thin out and diminish.