Shower Filtration Systems

GoliGoliGoli

Hey all, just wanted to post this because it's something I think a lot about. Since we're all willing to do whatever it takes to help keep our hair (Including spending thousands or tens of thousands of dollars) I would suggest everyone spent the 80 bucks to get a shower filtration system. Link to one I have below.

The biggest contaminant in shower water is chlorine or chloramine (Depending on your particular area) and although Google will tell you it doesn't CAUSE hair loss, it does say that it causes hair damage. There are also many other chemicals in tap and shower water besides chorline and chloramine so consider that as well and whether the filter you choose takes those out of the water as well. 

Besides just for hair reasons, it's a good idea not to be bathing in chlorine water generally. The chlorine is added as a disinfectant and has already done its job by the tap it reaches your tap, so their is literally no reason not to filter it out. Most of what comes into contact with your skin over longish periods is absorbed so do yourself and your hair a favor and spend the 80 bucks to put it to rest.

https://www.pentair.com/en-us/water-softening-filtration/products/shower-filters/shower-water-filters-with-showerhead-and-wand.PSF-1WC.html?mcid=sh_1988&st-t=X47GX32V4LLJET2XQ7U6XGMG

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Maybe this should be in "Open Hair Loss" topics? Hmm

Lol yeah, it may be better suited for a different category - but people will see this regardless. Thanks for the insight and input. Figuring out proper water filtering systems has been something I've dabbled in, but never been such a priority that I take action on it. Have you used this and have you noticed a difference in your skin/hair? 

• Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

18 hours ago, pkipling said:

Lol yeah, it may be better suited for a different category - but people will see this regardless. Thanks for the insight and input. Figuring out proper water filtering systems has been something I've dabbled in, but never been such a priority that I take action on it. Have you used this and have you noticed a difference in your skin/hair? 

Well about 1.5 years ago I was getting out of my shower and would notice a chlorine smell on me afterwards. Even 2 hours later when I was at work I could smell my wrist sometimes and sense a chlorine smell. Maybe my water system was just overloading on it or something I have no idea. But as soon as I bought the filter that went away so it seems to be a good product. 

As far as noticing a difference, I would say my skin is definitely less dried out. It's kind of hard to remember though. My hair hasn't "improved" at all because of course that's the nature of hair loss but I do wonder if moving to my current house/city back in 2019 didn't speed up my hair loss due to their water system seeming to be more heavy handed with the chlorine. Impossible to prove but I wish I would've used a shower filter at the start. 

4 hours ago, GoliGoliGoli said:

Well about 1.5 years ago I was getting out of my shower and would notice a chlorine smell on me afterwards. Even 2 hours later when I was at work I could smell my wrist sometimes and sense a chlorine smell. Maybe my water system was just overloading on it or something I have no idea. But as soon as I bought the filter that went away so it seems to be a good product. 

As far as noticing a difference, I would say my skin is definitely less dried out. It's kind of hard to remember though. My hair hasn't "improved" at all because of course that's the nature of hair loss but I do wonder if moving to my current house/city back in 2019 didn't speed up my hair loss due to their water system seeming to be more heavy handed with the chlorine. Impossible to prove but I wish I would've used a shower filter at the start. 

Well for what it's worth, even though external factors such as water quality, certain hair products, heat, etc. can have an impact on the overall quality/health of your hair, those are completely different factors than hair loss that is caused by MPB. So even if you had used a filtration system sooner, I don't think it would've slowed down your hair loss - assuming you're losing your hair due to MPB (aka High Levels of DHT) - as those won't have any effect on that hormone. The filtration system would've just perhaps made your hair healthier, shinier, less prone to breakage, etc. Just some peace of mind so you don't feel like you messed up. :) 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

1 hour ago, pkipling said:

Well for what it's worth, even though external factors such as water quality, certain hair products, heat, etc. can have an impact on the overall quality/health of your hair, those are completely different factors than hair loss that is caused by MPB. So even if you had used a filtration system sooner, I don't think it would've slowed down your hair loss - assuming you're losing your hair due to MPB (aka High Levels of DHT) - as those won't have any effect on that hormone. The filtration system would've just perhaps made your hair healthier, shinier, less prone to breakage, etc. Just some peace of mind so you don't feel like you messed up. :) 

You might be right, but I'm of the opinion that it's overstated how much of MPB is genetically related. Genetics are main factor but environmental factors play a huge role too. And again not saying my hair would look any different if I'd started using the filter earlier, but I think when taken from holistic perspective it is one thing could possibly contribute.

• Like 1

sometimes I travel to new york I noticed that when washing, the tap water itches my head and my hair falls out much more since washing water from the children's store is ok
I live permanently in Poland, where the water is much better
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Makes sense that chlorine (and the other toxins) in shower water would have their effect. I had my biggest hair loss after a year here I was taking extra long hot showers, in a town well known for its low water quality. That's anecdotal evidence I guess, but who knows?

It's not just chlorine in water either, there can be lead and other heavy metals. There is often small amounts of pesticides and other chemicals in there too, even pharmaceuticals.

Like, look how common pesticide residue is in our water - https://www.usgs.gov/news/herbicide-glyphosate-prevalent-us-streams-and-rivers

I wish a showerhead water filter could get rid of all that, but removing chlorine is good too. For a while I've been looking into what water filter is the absolute best, for my shower water, and another for my drinking water too, cause I definitely don't want to drink that stuff.

I feel like it's a big part of health and surely if you're healthier, hair loss will be slower. at least I hope so!