How long should one stay after FUE?

8 minutes ago, NOMORENORWOOD said:

If you are getting an FUE in a clinic that is a couple states away how long should you stay on the area? Like 1 week or longer?

Depends on you. I just came back from mine in a different country. I gave myself 2 days of recovery and the 3rd day I flew back bloodied and swollen looking. I didn't care for people staring at me since I already look intimidating. But if you don't want to be stared at in a plane or what not give yourself at least a few extra days of recovery. If you are getting any head washes or other treatment I would have personally liked to have given myself 5 days recovery. Especially because you will be sleep deprived. However, if you are driving back I would say give yourself like 3 extra days (avoid the sun, dont let your donor touch your car seat too much, watch your head when you enter -- as a matter of fact just dont do anything to touch your head against anything).

• Like 1

Follow my first hair transplant journey

3,252 Grafts a minimum of 6,712 hairs June 2022

Some say it's ok to fly back after 2 days. Which is fine and risky... but .. you should stay and rest for 4-5 days maximum before continuing your day to day life. Even more if you need to be in airports and flights. There is no point rushing a surgery like this. Why risk bumping your head somewhere? or risking inflammation on the recipient area? By giving yourself 4 days you will give time for the swelling to go away and your scalp to look less bruised and red. 

My advice would be to relax and try to fill your time watching tv shows or playing video games. You have to give the grafts full attention and proper care in the first few days post-op. It's crucial

If you have any more post care questions, ask

• Like 1

For me, 3 days was ideal.  I could have left earlier, but the 3 days felt perfect.

If you want all the swelling to be gone before you leave though, that can take up to a week+

• Like 1

Check out my journey here:

17 minutes ago, Fue3361 said:

For me, 3 days was ideal.  I could have left earlier, but the 3 days felt perfect.

If you want all the swelling to be gone before you leave though, that can take up to a week+

Did you fly?

Just now, NOMORENORWOOD said:

Did you fly?

Yes.  I obviously had a pretty raw looking donor area, and it was obvious something was done to my head.  Also, swelling was starting to happen.  But after 3 days, as long as I didn't bump my head into anything, it felt safe enough to travel.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Fue3361 said:

Yes.  I obviously had a pretty raw looking donor area, and it was obvious something was done to my head.  Also, swelling was starting to happen.  But after 3 days, as long as I didn't bump my head into anything, it felt safe enough to travel.

Also you cannot wear a hat 3 day after correct? Did you have a lot of stares? Of course it doesn’t matter but I do worry I run into someone I know. Wish I could wear a cap or something 

Just now, NOMORENORWOOD said:

Also you cannot wear a hat 3 day after correct? Did you have a lot of stares? Of course it doesn’t matter but I do worry I run into someone I know. Wish I could wear a cap or something 

Wear large sunglasses.  With a shaved head, big crusts, who the hell will recognize you?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, NOMORENORWOOD said:

Wear sunglasses.  Trust me, it works

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ryan Daniel said:

Wear sunglasses.  Trust me, it works

1 hour ago, Fue3361 said:

Wear large sunglasses.  With a shaved head, big crusts, who the hell will recognize you?

Lol that is actually smart. I’ve never flown so I just assumed tsa or whatever would tell me I can’t wear those. So 5 days after surgery probably safe to leave then? Thank you all for the responses 

Most clinics will give you some type of relaxer prior to the procedure. It's almost as if you had a few drinks.  They prefer you do not drive that day.  As civic has stated, it is a good idea to return to the clinic the next day for your first wash.  Most people are concerned they may damage something.  The Clinical staff knows exactly what should be done.  You can go home right after that.  

I gather you took a bag with you.  If you get too active after the procedure, you'll swell at about the third day.  It will travel down your face and drain in the neck area.  It is short lived. Should last a day or two.  Lastly, it is likely the clinic will give you "things" to use post operatively.  Make sure to check in the bag otherwise they'll take them.

Oh, the cap.  You can wear a cap the day of the procedure.  Just have the staff show you how to put it on so the grafts don't catch.  You can wear a cap all you want.  After the 7th day, use sunscreen and a cap. If you burn the incisions, you can freckle permanently.

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

6 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

Most clinics will give you some type of relaxer prior to the procedure. It's almost as if you had a few drinks.  They prefer you do not drive that day.  As civic has stated, it is a good idea to return to the clinic the next day for your first wash.  Most people are concerned they may damage something.  The Clinical staff knows exactly what should be done.  You can go home right after that.  

I gather you took a bag with you.  If you get too active after the procedure, you'll swell at about the third day.  It will travel down your face and drain in the neck area.  It is short lived. Should last a day or two.  Lastly, it is likely the clinic will give you "things" to use post operatively.  Make sure to check in the bag otherwise they'll take them.

Oh, the cap.  You can wear a cap the day of the procedure.  Just have the staff show you how to put it on so the grafts don't catch.  You can wear a cap all you want.  After the 7th day, use sunscreen and a cap. If you burn the incisions, you can freckle permanently.

Oh like a surgical cap? Also you can place sunscreen on the donor area or receptive to area 7 days after?

12 hours ago, NOMORENORWOOD said:

Oh like a surgical cap? Also you can place sunscreen on the donor area or receptive to area 7 days after?

No, a baseball cap.  Yes, you can typically apply sunscreen 7 days post op. I would go ahead and confirm with your doctor.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

On 7/8/2022 at 1:12 PM, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

One week is more than sufficient. You can also travel immediately after the hair transplantation procedure.

Oh so I could board a plane the day of the procedure when I’m released? I don’t wNt to damage grafts. Would 3 days after be safe?

12 hours ago, Eugenix Hair Sciences said:

You can travel immediately also. You just have to take care not to scratch or bump your recipient area. 3 days also would be absolutely safe.

Is a surgical cap safe to wear after surgery? Probably would make it easier to keep grafts safe since I live somewhere windy