Day 8 - Hair falling off with the scabs

Hello All,

I am on Day 8 post hair transplant. I have had 2 surgeries done. My doctor seems to suggest he has implanted 2680 grafts (gave me an exact figure). So this was worked out by the doctor to be around 6700 - 7000 hairs. What really baffles me is that my experience during the First hair transplant is very different from the experience I am having now. Now I wake up each morning to see probably around 30 to 80 scabs but with 2 or 3 hairs with black ends attached to it. hen i had my first transplant I only noticed a few scabs at day 6 with no hairs and at day 15 I noticed shedding of hairs with no scabs or hairs with black ends. Can anyone on here please tell me what is happening and if this is normal and if I should be worried. See photos of my progress to date.

20220610_160020.jpg

20220610_160023.jpg

What you're experiencing is normal. Typically at about the 7th day the clinic will instruct to start massaging with your fingertips.  Read the post op instructions and see what they recommend.  The rest of the crusts will fall off was you start washing normally.  Doesn't seem you have much left anyway. Then comes the waiting time, 3-4 months before the new hair starts sprouting.

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

There are a lot of different factors that could be at play for why your scalp is reacting differently the 2nd time - but ultimately I don't think it matters too much. What you're experiencing does seem normal, and by Day 8, those grafts are extremely secure. If you were losing actual grafts, there would be pain and blood - and what you're experiencing seems to be the natural shedding process. Every surgeon has their own post-op care protocol, but as LaserCaps mentioned, many will have you start washing your hair and massaging your scalp by Day 8 anyway, so even if the scabs didn't fall out in your sleep, you'd be removing them in the shower. 

Edited by pkipling
  • Like 1

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56