How often are experienced members & physicians on this forum seeing Finasteride make hair loss worse?

blufforfold

I am not diligent enough in photo taking and Im in a rush been very busy lately so I apologize if this is a huge repeat question as it might be.
In general is it noticed by physicians that in some percentage of patients that Fin actually makes hair loss worse? I know there will be non responders but how about making things worse. My hair just overall feels thinner throughout my scalp tbh and then a few specifics.

I personally feel the back of my head below the donor zone has gotten thinner and my hairdresser commented for the first time that she brought my neck hairline up slightly because it wasn't even and some areas were longer than others (thinning?) and also I am feeling i am seeing skin through my hair way easier right next to my ears on my sides. Now Im feeling like my right side temple which was already worse than my left but IMO has been like that for years and years and hasn't really shifted much in a while is all of a sudden in a 2 month span showing signs of receding further to the point where I actually noticed something in such a short period. I never once have even been very concerned about my hairloss in the front only my crown as you can see from my thread(s) and now all of a sudden I feel like I should be concerned about my temples.

I have been on oral Fin for about 11 months. I am seeing July 7 2021 on my calendar. Ive kinda bounced around between 3x a week (MWF) to Every other day to also 5x a week as well. Right now I am doing MWF at 1mg. (Always been 1mg). Ive used a few different pharmacies, is there a known place I should go to? CVS? Walgreens? Etc?

I know there can be a "shedding phase" and I dont think thats it. About 7 or 8 months in is where I started to wonder if it was making things worse. Again in a bit of a rush so I will link to my other thread to get an idea of my hair loss. On my crown I think things have been relatively similar maybe things got slightly worse, its honestly hard for me to tell.  I have photos from late 2020 and then also in Early 2022 and I personally think they are marginally comparable.

I also started red light cap. It almost feels like the more I do the worse things get tbh and when I did nothing things were progressing the least. Obviously I'm aging and it could very easily be coincidence but not sure. 

• Administrators

I have never seen a case in all my years where finasteride makes hair worse. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

20 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Thanks for the reply. Thats what I thought. Its just such a strange coincidence and whats weird is its thinning in weird areas it feels like. It kinda reconfirmed for me when I got a haircut a few days ago and the hairdresser told me about raising my hairline a tad like I said because the natural point wasn't straight. Ive gotten essentially the same style haircut for nearly 8 years now, never had someone say that until the other day. Very strange

50 minutes ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

I mean it can happen in theory if you start fin and then shed and stop after a shed it can be worse. 

Can't see another scenario where that would happen though.

Appreciate it, its just a strange coincidence I guess because Im theoretically thinning in some strange areas like super safe areas and im not even an advanced loser or aggressive loser at all so its just been weird to see new areas that had previously no issues at all and are pretty safe all of a sudden feeling thin

1 hour ago, Gokuhairline said:

your hairloss is probably not stabilized thus thinning/losing

For sure, i dont expect my hair loss to be finalized completely, but the areas I am talking about are significantly safe zones in comparison to hairline, crowns etc - the temple having more hair loss isn't a surprise that it came at some point, but its strange that the sides towards the bottom near my ear and the hairline on my neck are whats thinning... those are not at all typical spots for someone with my hair loss at 32 y/o and only began after taking Fin