What makes a good hairline?

I asked this question in a Patient results thread, but wanted to create a new thread.

So what is it that makes a good transplanted hairline?  What is the technique, pattern, distribution, etc?  How do you create that natural look?

Dontwait,

Essentially, any hairline that looks natural is a good hairline. I know that sounds like a simple answer but that’s the reality. A hair transplant is designed to mimic nature. Natural hairlines are feathered and irregular. you’ll never see a hairline that’s completely straight and looks like a wall of hair. Instead, the very front of the hairline is a little thin and is denser behind it.

So how exactly does a surgeon re-create a natural looking hairline with a hair transplant? Essentially there are three key ingredients/processes:

1. Single haired follicular units

A transplanted hairline should be made up of single-haired folllicular units with multi haired follicular unit behind the first couple of rows.

2. The shingling effect

A hair transplant surgeon will make tiny incisions in the recipient area with a small needle or blade and then technicians will insert the harvested follicular units from the donor area into these incisions either using forceps or implanter tools.

However, much like roof shingles, recipient incisions aren’t made in completely straight rows. The second row is made similar to the first one however, the physician starts the second row by making the first incision in-between the first two incisions of the first row but slightly behind it.  He then continues making incisions behind the first row but in between the next set of incisions in the first row, much like roof shingles.

The reason for the above is to aid the appearance of density.  Imagine if the transplanted hairs were placed in completely straight rows.  When you look at the hair from the front a.k.a. the hairline, the hair would look very thin because there would be visible spaces in between the hairs all the way from the front to the back. But with shingling effect, there are no spaces because hairs are placed behind the gaps in each row so that all you see is hair instead of spaces.  When you combine this with the first principal, the hair looks both very dense and very natural. 

3. Positioning / Placement - Creating a natural looking irregular hairline that’s not completely straight 

The actual placement and position of the hairline is just as important. The first two principles can be applied but if you create a straight looking hairline too low or too high, it’s not going to look natural. So a surgeon has to be artistic in re-creating a natural looking irregular hairline that mimics nature.

I hope the above helps explain how a surgeon works with his or her team to re-create a natural looking hairline that’s both dense and natural.

Best Wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

All the above are GREAT technical explanations.

I am just 1 full day post-op from 2000ish grafts with Eugenix to completely restore my temple points and frame the hairline, and i can honestly say ALL the above are why you should choose a place. Naturalness. 

There's many places out there like Horror Mills who are happy to take your money, putting hair from one place to another but if you can tell something is "off" with a hairline looking weird, it's usually because they're not feathered and natural looking but a pluggy mess with multi grafts front and centre. 

Temple points are also something which is incredibly difficult to recreate and very few places worldwide imo can do them which is why i'm so glad i finally did my research, found this forum and made the choice i did. I am sharing my full journey too for hopefully helping others too and paying it back. 

I think certain doctors have their own style.

Hasaon seems to go more V shaped and generally avoids temple points while Eugenix goes a little flatter and usually brings temples in.

So I guess it depends on doctor style and needs of the patient.