Does PRP Seriously Make a Difference in the End-Result?

I have a HT with Dr. Mwamba coming up in less than 3 weeks. I did not elect a PRP treatment and for all I know its too late to put that back on the docket. But still figured I would ask my question. 

From my understanding, all PRP really does is potentially make the transplant hair grow in faster. Ultimately, all the transplant hair that is destined to grow will grow in without PRP just the same. PRP does not make any difference in the long term 12-18 month final result, does not make transplant hair grow that otherwise would have failed to grow, etc. 

Is this accurate? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, HappyMan2021 said:

I have a HT with Dr. Mwamba coming up in less than 3 weeks. I did not elect a PRP treatment and for all I know its too late to put that back on the docket. But still figured I would ask my question. 

From my understanding, all PRP really does is potentially make the transplant hair grow in faster. Ultimately, all the transplant hair that is destined to grow will grow in without PRP just the same. PRP does not make any difference in the long term 12-18 month final result, does not make transplant hair grow that otherwise would have failed to grow, etc. 

Is this accurate? 

Bang on ! Look at the amount of top/elite Drs/Clinic's that don’t even include PRP, it’s not essential at all. If it’s part of the transplant then great, but who knows how much difference it really makes ? At best faster growth ? You will still see the final result the same in 12 months. 

• Like 1

HappyMan,

PRP (platelet rich plasma) Is not required to make a hair transplant grow. It is an additional service that could potentially help make hair grow faster and if PRP is done as a standalone hair loss treatment, it could potentially help strengthen natural thinning hair. But in terms of a requirement for your hair transplant to grow? PRP is absolutely not required.

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

prp is proven to have some.... slight marginal result and perhaps faster growth.

but this is just like adding extra chocolate sauce on your chocolate milkshake.

in end result, it seems that it's agreed that it doesn't really do much, it's either ineffective in the end picture, or is effective but it's only a very marginal increase that it's not worth the money

• Like 2

I personally did PRP from month 1 to 3, didn't have any quicker growth comparable to others.

Although my redness did fade by 1.5 months.  Unsure if this was related to the PRP or age (25 at the time).

Edited by SeanToman
  • Like 2

It would be a waste of your money. Just a method of upsell, business strategy. 

A good transplant doesn't need prp. 

A bad transplant doesn't get better from prp. 

The outcome is decided by the hand you choose to cut in your scalp. 

Edited by DrMunibAhmad
  • Like 4

58 minutes ago, DrMunibAhmad said:

It would be a waste of your money. Just a methos of upsell, business strategy. 

The outcome is decides by the hand you choose to cut in your scalp. 

that's what a study from 2020 concluded.

• Like 1

PRP is neither necessary nor compulsory after a transplantation procedure. Platelet rich plasma therapy is just injecting growth factors into the scalp. They could accelerate the growth of the hair to a certain level but not so in all patients and minutely in those who do get PRP therapies also. Your hair will grow regardless of you taking PRP or not. You should rather focus on medications to prevent any further progression of baldness.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, DrMunibAhmad said:

It would be a waste of your money. Just a methos of upsell, business strategy. 

The outcome is decides by the hand you choose to cut in your scalp. 

Can we pin this response somewhere so that this question gets answered forever 

• Thanks 1

I was told that for my crown (non-transplanted) that the PRP would make maybe a 5% improvement compared to the Finasteride/Dutasteride improvements over time. 

Also of interest, Dr Somesh (sic?) at Eugenix in the brief conversation i had with him regarding Finasteride stated that you could combine both oral and topical versions without a lot of concerns for side affects to truly maximise the effects. 

I'd also gather given the benefit of having Oral Finasteride means you won't lose the results as quickly if you stopped topical Finasteride.