Can Finasteride shed transplanted hairs???

I had a transplant on the hairline a few years ago while on finasteride, I have thick har everywhere except on the hairline where I did the transplant and I was thrilled with the results.

Two years after the surgery, my finasteride ran out and being in a different country, I got a different prescription(brand), a few months after that, my transplanted hair fell of(only transplanted hair), regrew and fell off constantly for two years, being very distressful for me.

After having no clue what it was I suspected maybe the finasteride I've been taken wasn't legit, I got sent the original finasteride from the farmacy that I took years ago.

Within a week I felt sensation on the breast area which tells me there is estrogen levels rising which I didn't feel for the 2 years taking the other pills, and now at 4 weeks after I am experiencing again an overnight shed of transplanted hairs!

Could this be possible if I had been taking expired or placebo fin and now that I got the legit one?

Transplanted hair should remain regardless if you take Fin or not, that’s been taken from your so called “safe Zone” 

Where do you have the work done ? Can you give some more details ? Pics if possible.. thanks 🙏 

4 minutes ago, MattJosh said:

I had a transplant on the hairline a few years ago while on finasteride, I have thick har everywhere except on the hairline where I did the transplant and I was thrilled with the results.

Two years after the surgery, my finasteride ran out and being in a different country, I got a different prescription(brand), a few months after that, my transplanted hair fell of(only transplanted hair), regrew and fell off constantly for two years, being very distressful for me.

After having no clue what it was I suspected maybe the finasteride I've been taken wasn't legit, I got sent the original finasteride from the farmacy that I took years ago.

Within a week I felt sensation on the breast area which tells me there is estrogen levels rising which I didn't feel for the 2 years taking the other pills, and now at 4 weeks after I am experiencing again an overnight shed of transplanted hairs!

Could this be possible if I had been taking expired or placebo fin and now that I got the legit one?

What is the name of the manufacturer of this suspicious finasteride?

12 hours ago, J.A.C said:

Transplanted hair should remain regardless if you take Fin or not, that’s been taken from your so called “safe Zone” 

Where do you have the work done ? Can you give some more details ? Pics if possible.. thanks 🙏 

That is the way it should be as per the donor dominance theory, which is not black and white, albeit not being the norm, countless of people have lost transplanted hair over years, specially the ones not medicated there are plenty of users on the spanish forum recuperar pelo an others mentioning it.

I am all for hair transplants but this happens more than it thought of

12 hours ago, MAIZE1694 said:

What is the name of the manufacturer of this suspicious finasteride?

Let's put that aside an imagine I'm right, would this situation be possible?

MattJosh,

There have been discussions about generic finasteride and certain brands that are less effective than others. In my opinion, if you switched brands and are experiencing side effects or other symptoms such as a loss of transplanted hair or natural hair, I recommend switching back ASAP.  This of course is assuming that the original brand was working for you in a positive way.

Far be it for me to draw any conclusions or suggest that the brand you have switched to is less effective however, it’s obvious that changing brands affected things in some way and not in a desirable way.  And because of discussions I’ve seen about generic finasteride and certain brands, I think it’s worth exploring the possibilities here. 

Now, transplanted hair should not be permanently affected by using finasteride or switching brands, etc. If anything, you may be experiencing an initial shedding as if you just started finasteride for the first time.

Here’s the other possibility - 

One might actually even suggest that the previous brand you were using wasn’t as potent as the brand you switched to given that it seems to be causing side effects that are possible in some men who use finasteride and it seems like you are experiencing an initial shedding which is typical when starting to use finasteride.

Thar said, if the previous brand was working for you and you were happy with it, I still suggest going back to the original brand because the changes you are experiencing aren’t desirable. However, if the previous brand was not working for you, you may want to continue with this brand for a little while to see if it actually does work for you.

Any hair shedding is temporary and side effects often go away with continued use of medication. And if they don’t, you can always stop or switch back in which case, side effects should go away.

That said, I do want to point out that there are some men who have stated they have experienced ongoing side effects even after stopping use of finasteride.

At the end of the day, you need to do what works for you. I suspect that you felt the previous brand was working in which case I would stick with my original advice and switch back to the brand that was working for you without any negative effects. On the other hand, if it wasn’t working for you, you could continue with this brand and see if it does work and ride it out to see if the side effects go away  

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

6 minutes ago, MattJosh said:

Let's put that aside an imagine I'm right, would this situation be possible?

Sounds like you're asking if finasteride can give you all the side effect benefits without any of the hair. Its possible, and all the more reason not to take it if there's no hair in it for you.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

MattJosh,

There have been discussions about generic finasteride and certain brands that are less effective than others. In my opinion, if you switched brands and are experiencing side effects or other symptoms such as a loss of transplanted hair or natural hair, I recommend switching back ASAP.  This of course is assuming that the original brand was working for you in a positive way.

Far be it for me to draw any conclusions or suggest that the brand you have switched to is less effective however, it’s obvious that changing brands affected things in some way and not in a desirable way.  And because of discussions I’ve seen about generic finasteride and certain brands, I think it’s worth exploring the possibilities here. 

Now, transplanted hair should not be permanently affected by using finasteride or switching brands, etc. If anything, you may be experiencing an initial shedding as if you just started finasteride for the first time.

Here’s the other possibility - 

One might actually even suggest that the previous brand you were using wasn’t as potent as the brand you switched to given that it seems to be causing side effects that are possible in some men who use finasteride and it seems like you are experiencing an initial shedding which is typical when starting to use finasteride.

Thar said, if the previous brand was working for you and you were happy with it, I still suggest going back to the original brand because the changes you are experiencing aren’t desirable. However, if the previous brand was not working for you, you may want to continue with this brand for a little while to see if it actually does work for you.

Any hair shedding is temporary and side effects often go away with continued use of medication. And if they don’t, you can always stop or switch back in which case, side effects should go away.

That said, I do want to point out that there are some men who have stated they have experienced ongoing side effects even after stopping use of finasteride.

At the end of the day, you need to do what works for you. I suspect that you felt the previous brand was working in which case I would stick with my original advice and switch back to the brand that was working for you without any negative effects. On the other hand, if it wasn’t working for you, you could continue with this brand and see if it does work and ride it out to see if the side effects go away  

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thank You for the response

That's what perhaps is happening, I was on Finasteride A for years before the transplant and during and  2 years after having done the transplant and everything worked perfectly

2 years after the HT or so I switched to Finasteride B and everything went down(only the transplanted hairs) for close to 2 years I've been on it

I am just back with Finasteride A and just suffered a shed of some HT hairs that were growing back, we'll see what happens

While I intend to be on Fin for good, How long would you give it to see if this was the cause?

On 5/6/2022 at 8:37 AM, MattJosh said:

Thank You for the response

That's what perhaps is happening, I was on Finasteride A for years before the transplant and during and  2 years after having done the transplant and everything worked perfectly

2 years after the HT or so I switched to Finasteride B and everything went down(only the transplanted hairs) for close to 2 years I've been on it

I am just back with Finasteride A and just suffered a shed of some HT hairs that were growing back, we'll see what happens

While I intend to be on Fin for good, How long would you give it to see if this was the cause?

Bump for Rahal Representative