Many say so much about how fue leaves the little white dots but FUT leaves the big donor strip scar. Based off modern day FUT and how some clinics get 2-3mm or less strips for FUT does that change the degree of scar back there(hypertrophic/keloid) or does the scarring still always show worse than FUE scarring?

• Moderators

OK, so first there's a whole range of good and bad scars from both FUT and FUE, but I think you realize that, so for this lets assume you were to go to a top Dr and get good scars.  If you were to compare the best 20% of FUT scars with the best 20% of FUE scars if you shaved down then the FUT scar would be more noticeable because it's a long line all the way around the back of our head. Even if it is very fine and thin, if you are shaved down completely then you will notice it easily. The FUE scars are tiny dots scattered all over, so they don't stand out as much. With really good FUT scars you can get away with pretty short hair, but not totally shaved. If you keep your hair a bit longer it won't matter whether you had FUT or FUE because neither would be noticeable.

There is a way in some cases where FUT scars may be better and easier to hide then FUE scars. If you keep some length where the FUT scar is and fade it below that then you can fade to completely shaved down without revealing the scar. The trick is to do a low fade rather than far up the sides and back. In a case like that the lower portion of the FUE scar area may be noticeable if it was FUE, but the FUT scar would not be, so if you can style it a certain way FUT can turn out better scar wise.

However you never really know how well your scars will end up with FUT or FUE.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

I think FUE scars will turn out better than FUT scars the majority of the time. I've had FUT procedures within the past year thinking it'd be alright, which it is still manageable, but if I could go back, I would do FUE instead. When my donor starts to thin with age, it's not going to be so easy hiding my scar back there. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BeHappy said:

OK, so first there's a whole range of good and bad scars from both FUT and FUE, but I think you realize that, so for this lets assume you were to go to a top Dr and get good scars.  If you were to compare the best 20% of FUT scars with the best 20% of FUE scars if you shaved down then the FUT scar would be more noticeable because it's a long line all the way around the back of our head. Even if it is very fine and thin, if you are shaved down completely then you will notice it easily. The FUE scars are tiny dots scattered all over, so they don't stand out as much. With really good FUT scars you can get away with pretty short hair, but not totally shaved. If you keep your hair a bit longer it won't matter whether you had FUT or FUE because neither would be noticeable.

There is a way in some cases where FUT scars may be better and easier to hide then FUE scars. If you keep some length where the FUT scar is and fade it below that then you can fade to completely shaved down without revealing the scar. The trick is to do a low fade rather than far up the sides and back. In a case like that the lower portion of the FUE scar area may be noticeable if it was FUE, but the FUT scar would not be, so if you can style it a certain way FUT can turn out better scar wise.

However you never really know how well your scars will end up with FUT or FUE.

2 hours ago, AlexMeister21 said:

I think FUE scars will turn out better than FUT scars the majority of the time. I've had FUT procedures within the past year thinking it'd be alright, which it is still manageable, but if I could go back, I would do FUE instead. When my donor starts to thin with age, it's not going to be so easy hiding my scar back there. 

Thank you to both of you. Yes I was just curious because you hear so much about how top surgeons do 2mm fut strips and the scarring is very minimal. Fue of course is minimal for some but it does leave those little white dots all over your donor so I didn’t know if they were the same scar wise(if fut strip was small) and so fut would be smarter since it is just a strip compared to numerous dots. Again thank you

Jo,

try not to think about FUE or FUT scoring as better or worse. Think of it as a type of scarring. Some FUT scars can be quite thin and w because of the trichophytic closure technique, individuals can often wear their hair quite short without showing any signs of scarring.  But no matter how thin it is, it’s still going to be a linear scar that extends pretty much from ear to ear that becomes more visible the shorter the hair gets.

On the other hand, FUE scarring produces tiny white dots which is barely noticeable ebej when wearing your hair quite short.  These scars are easier to conceal in most cases which is why it’s a more coveted procedure for many men.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

1 hour ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

Jo,

try not to think about FUE or FUT scoring as better or worse. Think of it as a type of scarring. Some FUT scars can be quite thin and w because of the trichophytic closure technique, individuals can often wear their hair quite short without showing any signs of scarring.  But no matter how thin it is, it’s still going to be a linear scar that extends pretty much from ear to ear that becomes more visible the shorter the hair gets.

On the other hand, FUE scarring produces tiny white dots which is barely noticeable ebej when wearing your hair quite short.  These scars are easier to conceal in most cases which is why it’s a more coveted procedure for many men.

Rahal Hair Transplant

Thank you. The area where fue scars go doesn’t ever bald correct so it is easier to seal those scars if you get old and thin out compared to fut being more noticeable as your hair shortens with age