PRP after hair trasnplant - when should I start?

Reijo

Hi. I'm 12 days post-op FUE Hair transplant and I'm thinking to start PRP sessions to stimulate hair growth on the transplanted and thinning areas. Few questions comes in mind while I'm thinking about this and it's listed below.

1. Can I start PRP session 14 days post operation?

2. What is the minimum number of days/weeks before each PRP session?

3. How many PRP sessions do I need to make sure its effectiveness?

Another side question regarding post-op FUE HT is this -- when can I start using a regular shampoo and not a baby shampoo after the transplant? I was using Avalon Organics Biotin + B-complex shampoo and conditioner before my HT and it's actually a really mild shampoo(almost the same as the baby shampoo), so I was thinking if I can replace the baby shampoo with this and probably help a little bit in stimulating hair growth. 

Any answers or suggestions are welcome. Thank you guys 

WhatsApp Image 2022-04-07 at 11.27.41 AM.jpeg

• Like 1

Where would you be going to get the PRP done? Pretty much most places just use it as a “cash grab” and you won’t end up having any benefit from it whatsoever. 
It’s very debatable in exactly what can be achieved having it done, early growth maybe.. but long term benefits? Your hair is still going to pretty much follow the usual timeline for overall growth (12 months) 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, J.A.C said:

Where would you be going to get the PRP done? Pretty much most places just use it as a “cash grab” and you won’t end up having any benefit from it whatsoever. 
It’s very debatable in exactly what can be achieved having it done, early growth maybe.. but long term benefits? Your hair is still going to pretty much follow the usual timeline for overall growth (12 months) 

As this whole experience is new to me, I was just thinking if I can help out on anything that my hair needs to stimulate growth. The HT itself costed me so much that I had to take out some of my savings. But it's a good thing that you guys are here to help people like me who's struggling to get tangible information from the clinic where I did my HT. My HT package comes with 2 free PRP sessions and 4 laser strengthening sessions and when I asked the technician when I can get the first PRP session, she said I can do it that day (10th day post-op). I didn't trust her verdict that's why I wanted to ask the community on this matter. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

Save your money. PRP is overrated. Your hair will grow just fine without it. 

Will probably not gonna waste more money on it. I will just get the 2 free PRP sessions that comes with my HT package. Thanks for answering 😊

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Reijo said:

As this whole experience is new to me, I was just thinking if I can help out on anything that my hair needs to stimulate growth. The HT itself costed me so much that I had to take out some of my savings. But it's a good thing that you guys are here to help people like me who's struggling to get tangible information from the clinic where I did my HT. My HT package comes with 2 free PRP sessions and 4 laser strengthening sessions and when I asked the technician when I can get the first PRP session, she said I can do it that day (10th day post-op). I didn't trust her verdict that's why I wanted to ask the community on this matter. 

If it’s included (Free) then by all means try, but it’s not a must have after a hair transplant. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Reijo said:

Will probably not gonna waste more money on it. I will just get the 2 free PRP sessions that comes with my HT package. Thanks for answering 😊

Yeh the moment anybody mentions extra cost, run 🏃‍♀️ or extra “needed” sessions..

• Like 1

Just now, J.A.C said:

Yeh the moment anybody mentions extra cost, run 🏃‍♀️ or extra “needed” sessions..

Will definitely keep this in mind. Thank you 😊

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.A.C said:

Oh btw, do you know when is the recommended time get back to my regular shampoo after the HT? As I've mentioned, I was using the Avalon Organics Biotin + B-complex before doing HT and the texture of this shampoo is almost the same as the J&Js baby shampoo. 

• Like 1

PRP does work.  The issue however is the fact that not everyone knows how to do it correctly.  If you hear the word "sessions," run in the opposite direction.  By sessions I gather the provider(s) is doing a syringe size worth of PRP and does a few shots, (without using local).  Then he asks you to come back in a few weeks or months to do it again.  This does not work. 

Think of the old west, every man for himself.  You would think an agency, for lack of a better description, like the ISHRS would prompt providers to share information as to what works and what doesn't.  Until this happens, it is truly a crap shoot to find clinics that actually know how to do this properly.  For now, the best way to confirm is to have the clinic show you photos of results.

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

1 minute ago, LaserCaps said:

PRP does work.  The issue however is the fact that not everyone knows how to do it correctly.  If you hear the word "sessions," run in the opposite direction.  By sessions I gather the provider(s) is doing a syringe size worth of PRP and does a few shots, (without using local).  Then he asks you to come back in a few weeks or months to do it again.  This does not work. 

Think of the old west, every man for himself.  You would think an agency, for lack of a better description, like the ISHRS would prompt providers to share information as to what works and what doesn't.  Until this happens, it is truly a crap shoot to find clinics that actually know how to do this properly.  For now, the best way to confirm is to have the clinic show you photos of results.

Or just stay away from it since the gains don't seem to be worth the risk of being scammed. If you have money to burn then by all means go for it. I don't think it can hurt. After a transplant, how would anyone know if the hair growth was due to PRP or just regular growth? Seems like it would be impossible to decifer. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Reijo said:

Oh btw, do you know when is the recommended time get back to my regular shampoo after the HT? As I've mentioned, I was using the Avalon Organics Biotin + B-complex before doing HT and the texture of this shampoo is almost the same as the J&Js baby shampoo. 

I stayed on my baby shampoo for about 30 days. You can probably switch sooner but maybe ask your clinic. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Reijo said:

Follow your clinics guidelines, they all differ slightly. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

For most clinics and medical facilities that provides PRP treatment here in Dubai, they require or suggest a minimum of 3 sessions to see visible results. I've been asking around about it before I did my HT and there's only 1 clinic who told me to go for HT before doing PRP cos most of my issues won't be solved by it. I would probably do the free PRP sessions with my HT package but see first if there's really something going on before engaging myself to another PRP treatment. Thank you 😊

8 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

Or just stay away from it since the gains don't seem to be worth the risk of being scammed. If you have money to burn then by all means go for it. I don't think it can hurt. After a transplant, how would anyone know if the hair growth was due to PRP or just regular growth? Seems like it would be impossible to decifer. 

That's what I'm planning to do. Hopefully the 2 free sessions will stimulate hair growth on the transplanted area and also help on the thinning area. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, JoeMan said:

I stayed on my baby shampoo for about 30 days. You can probably switch sooner but maybe ask your clinic. 

6 minutes ago, J.A.C said:

Follow your clinics guidelines, they all differ slightly. 

Will just stick on the baby shampoo for 30 days then. Appreciate your answers 😊

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 4/7/2022 at 7:51 AM, LaserCaps said:

By local anesthesia do you mean a ring block? I don't think anyone is injecting lidocaine directly. Also not sure I understand your comment about "sessions" -- are you suggesting a single session with a large volume to be more effective than multiple with smaller volumes? How many cc's are you saying specifically?

On 4/7/2022 at 7:15 PM, JP28 said:

How about Acell guys? 

Alllegedly Acell helps the PRP stick around. It's just dried up powdered pig bladder.  Supposed to reduce inflammation in wound healing. Not sure it's a great idea to gunk up the area right after surgery when blood supply can be so delicate.

Also PRP at the time of surgery makes no sense to me. The surgery itself is essentially endogenous PRP at a much greater scale than the PRP itself. It makes more sense afterwards, though there is no good formalized research as to the best time course.

Platelet reduced fibrin is the new thing, though I would worry that it's too inflammatory.

Edited by consequence