Natural hairline - hair transplant

Hello everybody,

In a few days I will have a hair transplant procedure with Eugenix. I will have a meeting with them next week for the design of the hairline.

One of the key aspect for me is to create an hairline that will look as natural as possible.  I am 40 years old and do not want to have the hairline looking like a 20 years old doll.

Any advice for me on achieving a natural line ?

Thanks

M.

IMO a soft irregular zig-zaged hairline looks the most natural, This is what I asked from my during my procedure (somewhere else) instead they gave me the most straight artificial hairline you can get. I even showed them pictures of what I wanted and they still didn't get it.

I don't think anyone on the forum is going it give you better advice than the doctors at Eugenix regarding age appropriate hairlines. You will be sitting in front of them

The fact that you are 40 and you don't want a youthful hairline shows that you are educated enough to have a hair transplant 

They always design hairlines for people of age and make sure it will look good as they age. So if you are 40, they are definitely not going to give you a hairline of someone in 20's.   And if you are in your 20's they will not give you a youthful hairline either because they want you to look good and natural when you turn 30.. 40.. etc. do you get what I mean? 

If you need a better answer, share some photos with us and we can let you know what your best decision should be. With people that have alot of hair loss, I tend to recommend a higher hairline which allows alot of density behind and minimal grafts used. If someone is younger, they may want a hairline with temporal points to frame the face, but if they have a lot of thinning across the scalp this will require a number of grafts or maybe even sessions in order to achieve a satisfied result.   Let's start with photos (if you want)  otherwise I recommend putting your trust with the doctors

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, jobim said:

Hey Ryan,

Absolutely. See my photo attached. Many thanks for your opinion.

1648827974650.jpg

Thanks for sharing. I think Eugenix will use the lower part of the hairline as reference and not really go lower than that given the extent of your hair loss. 

Are you currently on medication like Finasteride because it does look like that could help with the remaining naturally placed hair. 

The real question in the design will probably be whether you want it a bit more rounded which can look a little more recessed but it helps save you grafts or have a higher more shallow hairline in the temple points which could take more grafts but make it look a bit better. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Ryan Daniel said:

I have drawn a quick hairline for you appropriate for your hair. I would also add that all the area behind the drawn hairline will be packed with grafts.

I believe you would have a similar result to our friend Ian! @kirkland

Untitled.png.2bad66b5871053d78a9cbe9fe4ba366f.png

There are a number of engineering principles that go into designing a hairline.  Once an age and pattern appropriate hairline is designed, then you can add a number of variables that make a hairline look natural.  Staggering, blunting the corners, etc.  Good luck.

Edited by LaserCaps

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

ThisJobin,

For starters, it’s important that you are impressed with the hairlines that the surgeon/clinic you selected regularly create.  Because at the end of the day, no matter how much input you provide on hairline placement including how low and/or far back to go to ensure your hairline is both natural looking and conservative rather than youthful and aggressive, the surgeon and clinic will ultimately determine what your hairline looks like and whether or not it looks natural.  So as long as you’re confident with that, here are some other tips.

Have the surgeon draw a hairline prior to the procedure and make sure that you provide your genuine and honest input.  This may sound intuitive but you’d be surprised how many prospective patients just go along with the first hairline drawn by the surgeon.   Even though the surgeon you choose should have vast experience at drawing and creating natural hairlines, only you know what you like and thus, you should ultimately decide what your hairline should look like.

Frankly, you’d be surprised by the number of patients who end up unhappy with their hairline placement and then later become angry with the surgeon for not giving them a natural looking hairline they are content with. But in reality, the hairline itself looks natural but placement could have been different had they provided input when the hairline was drawn.

Keep in mind also that not it’s not just about how low or far back the hairline is placed, but the actual hairline pattern as well.  Is it a regular or irregular hairline?  Is it staggered or straight?  Those types of things matter. Perhaps you want a hairline close to what your original one was or perhaps you want something totally different because you didn’t really like your original hairline. Now is your chance to be creative with the doctor and have a say and what your hairline ultimately looks like 

I hope this helps.

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

6 hours ago, Ryan Daniel said:

The fact that you are 40 and you don't want a youthful hairline shows that you are educated enough to have a hair transplant 

Yup. Expectations realistic? Check. At 40, that hairline is age appropriate. 

@jobimall the best with your upcoming hair transplant. Look forward to seeing your progress updates.