Weak donor

Hi

Iam from India and somewhere close to being Norwood 5. I have consulted at Eugenix and apparently I have thin hair and therefore my donor area is not strong. They have recommended transplant for the frontal area 2500 grafts. But I am also keen for the mid scalp and the crown area which is depleting as the months pass by. Just wanted to hear from the members on the possibility of getting midscalp and crown area done as well with weak donor.

Thanks

First thing I would so is post some photos.

So, you are either a candidate or you're not.  Having thin hair is fine.  It typically allows for a very natural result.  Thinning hair, if that's what you mean to say, is an issue.  You then refer to the donor.  The concern here is thinning of the donor.  If you are experiencing global thinning, potentially you lose the grafts transplanted. 

The doctor recommended 2500 grafts.  Is he not concerned? 

I gather you are a young individual.  If you are experiencing this aggressive loss at this age, it is likely it will continue.  Are you doing anything to help you with retention of the native hair? Some type of medical regimen may not only help you halt the loss, you might even enhance the hair that's dissipating.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Hi @lasercaps

Thanks for writing in . I have attached the photos and I'am 42 now. What I meant is that I always had fine/thin hair and now that iam loosing hair so lot of scalp is easily visible. I am not sure if I have global thinning. I have not started finasteride as of now I had tried minoxidil briefly but then I felt i was loosing more hair so stopped it.

I assume 2500 hair grafts from back of the head cause that's what my donor might allow.

Thanks

20210530_153217.jpg

20210530_153150.jpg

20210530_153209.jpg

You definitely have a diffused thinning pattern and unless you get started on finasteride or DUT, you are destined to lose all of the hair that you have left  on top of your head…if you saw Eugenix in person, did they microscopically examine your donor?

• Like 2

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• Valued Contributor

Hey @soconfused. Did Eugenix mention using beard grafts at all? I have a poor donor (Norwood 7) and was really a case that no one would touch. Previous failed surgeries and scars to show for it. In my humble opinion if you can stabilize your hair with finasteride, etc you may be in a better position for more coverage (with beard graft augmentation). It's not without risks however I want to add. Anyway wishing you all the best!

• Like 1

Soconfused,

One of the reasons the clinic most likely mentioned getting hair restoration work done in the hairline and the frontal region of the scalp is because that’s where most people see you.

When you meet people and talk to people, the first thing they see is your face and your hair from the front. It’s a lot less common that people are looking at the back of your head and the top of it so most people want to focus on the front first. That’s what most surgeons recommend and most patients agree.

That said, what bothers you and makes you feel most secure or insecure is ultimately the most important. And you should speak to your hair doctor about this. Then together, you can decide on which areas of the scalp to focus on first, second, third, etc.  

Keep in mind however, that hair transplant surgery does nothing to stop the progression of male pattern baldness. Only non-surgical solutions such as finasteride and even possibly minoxidil can do this.  Therefore, if you decide to undergo hair transplant surgery now, you may end up losing a lot more hair in which case, you need to make sure you have enough donor hair for subsequent procedures.

That said, if you get on finasteride (the most potent and proven DHT inhibitor) and stick with it for six months to a year, you could potentially slow down or even stop the progression of genetic hair loss. Keep in mind that you’ll have to stay on that essentially forever or as long as you want to maintain your hair. Stopping its use would result in losing more hair as you would have as if you never got on medication.

if I were in your shoes, I would get on finasteride immediately, stay on it for at least six months and then get my first hair transplant procedure focusing on the frontal region. I would then wait approximately one year and when the results grow in, focus on the mid scalp and crown in order to maximize my results.

Keep in mind that hair loss medication is accompanied by potential side effects and although they are rare and often minimal, some individuals do experience them and sometimes they can be more potent.  So make sure you research and understand the advantages, disadvantages and potential risks associated with medication prior to getting on it. Same thing when it comes to surgical hair restoration.

best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant
  • Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Hello @soconfused

As @gillenator said you are doomed without using Finasteride with the kind of male pattern baldness that you have. It's similar to mine but i have thick and coarse hair.

However I can predict that you would have a good transplant, especially the hairline since you is dark and fine

Do your research and go for it! Good luck friend

Hi @Gatsbythanks for writing . I have read about your big transplant you got done at Eugenix and iam following your threads as and when you update them. I am sure you will geg a great result

@Rahal Hair Transplantthanks for writing at length and explaining the thought process why the frontal hair is considered first. Yes I have just started with my finasteride and want to see for 6 months and then take a call 

@Grousethank you for the encouraging words means a lot.

@Ryan Danielas mentioned above just started with my finasteride.  Thanks so much for the good wishes will keep updating as and when things get better.

@gillenator

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Also remember that if you can’t tolerate Finasteride (like I initially couldn’t) you can always microdose back up (as I have successfully done) or take topical versions, etc. It is a personal choice with many but I so often see too many people throwing the baby out with the bath water. Also in placebo controlled trials the placebo groups also stated a similar rate of the same side effects. All the best mate! 

• Like 1