Black bulb on shed hair with scab

Hey guys,

im now on day 14 after my FUE hair restoration. Everything went well and I feel great. Today I gently removed some of the scabbing and some hair shafts came off with the scabs. So far completely normal. However, some hairs had either a tiny black bulb attached to them or they had a small bend ant the end (see photo). I wonder if this is normal as the tiny bulbs look very similar to the hair roots one can see on freshly extracted grafts. From what I‘ve read so far, grafts don‘t come off without bleeding but is it possible to accidentally pull out the root of the hair?B256DFB8-1EB7-4B7A-AA8D-4B3F1D931937.thumb.jpeg.729ed2719aa483084abc2622cc0e1407.jpeg

Looking forward to your advice :)

I always love getting the chance to post this image. It's a shed hair graft from a transplant and is from Dr. Orentriech's landmark study in 1959 titled, "Autografts in alopecias and other selected dermatological conditions." The hook on the end is the tell that it is a shed graft so you don't have to worry - it will grow back. Orentriech not only developed the donor dominance theory - which posited that the hair from one part of the scalp will retain the same characteristics when transplanted to another part of the scalp (ie balding hairs will continue to thin when transplanted to the back and sides of scalp while donor dominant hairs from back and sides will remain healthy on balding areas of the scalp) - he also created Head and Shoulders shampoo (if that's still a thing) and Clinique skin care (which is still very much a thing). He also used 4mm punches in his transplants which were still in use up to and including the 1980s in hair transplants, leading the doll's plug look for old-skool transplants. 

image.png.0a39e0a274f716a3a8f4ebab83735381.png

Edited by kirkland
  • Like 2

Flolitto,

Ar day 14, you don’t have anything to worry about in terms of losing a graft. Any hair of that look like follicles are attached are just simply transplant hairs that have shed.  The thicker bottoms could either be dead skin / tissue that’s still attached or just the fact that the hair shaft is thicker towards the bottom near the follicle. But the follicles themselves are deeply rooted underneath the service of the scalp and will begin grow between 3 to 5 months after the date of your procedure.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Normal.  The concern, however, is why wait 14 days to start washing normally? Get in the shower, let them soak in the warm water and start massaging with your fingertips and shampoo.  Get these things out of there. You can't hurt anything.  You do not want to get an infection.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Thanks so much for your substantiated replies! Really relieved to hear that everything is fine. Ive been searching german forums and some replies there really freaked me out so I‘m glad there are people that know their stuff! :)

• Like 1