SMP or transplant?

2 hours ago, Etownone said:

Like 3 years ago I was ready to get my smp here with Ahead Inc in NJ, after having had one consultation with them, but when I called for the follow up to set up appt,   then told me they don't do SMP for density anymore.  Said something that about getting mixed resutls. 

That's fair, it's trickier to do SMP on a non-shaven head.  Several people also do complain about seeing the SMP through the hairline, making it appear more like a tattoo as months pass and it fades from black to grey/blue-ish.  Another issue is the color difference between the treated and the non-treated area (sample shown in an earlier post).

I'm personally happy with mine, but without question I think you need to get your entire scalp done if you cut your hair short in order to avoid those color difference issues.

• Thanks 1

Really?…that surprises me.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

17 hours ago, SeanToman said:

Yes sir here is an example with shorter sides, you can see the outline of SMP.
image.png.84c05b99764384b14f7b22288cc9fca8.png

Are you considering doing the rest with smp?  

Looks good, but you're right I do see where the existing smp ends.   How short do you cut your hair in the back, like what size clipper? 

3 hours ago, Etownone said:

Are you considering doing the rest with smp?  

Looks good, but you're right I do see where the existing smp ends.   How short do you cut your hair in the back, like what size clipper? 

Hi friend, I believe that was a grade 2 or 3?
I do intend to do the rest of the SMP after a second hair transplant (for my temples). :)

Today I got it skin faded as I wanted to see how my donor scars looked, here's the result.

You can still see the SMP, though the fade does help blend it in better.

image.thumb.png.01e76d29542d0201d2ae2e995e253714.pngimage.png.c444425223bb015bfa26025767d3d020.png

You really can't tell the smp in those pics...   But with the skin fade, now I can definitely see the fue scars.   I won't go lower then 3 guard, or mine are noticible too.   

I'm really on the fence on smp.   

Appreciate all the info bro.    👍👍👍 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Etownone said:

You really can't tell the smp in those pics...   But with the skin fade, now I can definitely see the fue scars.   I won't go lower then 3 guard, or mine are noticible too.   

I'm really on the fence on smp.   

Appreciate all the info bro.    👍👍👍 

Thanks friend. :) Yeah to go this short I'd say SMP work on the donor will help.  I wonder how light SMP can go for areas like this so it blends well with a skin fade?

• Thanks 1

There's another guy on here, Mustang, he just had smp done to his donor section lightly...   It came out pretty good.   But he also said it's his 3rd time trying smp with the other 2 times not workimg out so great.   Goto his most recent update.  

On 7/7/2023 at 4:12 PM, SeanToman said:

Hi friend, I believe that was a grade 2 or 3?
I do intend to do the rest of the SMP after a second hair transplant (for my temples). :)

Today I got it skin faded as I wanted to see how my donor scars looked, here's the result.

You can still see the SMP, though the fade does help blend it in better.

image.thumb.png.01e76d29542d0201d2ae2e995e253714.pngimage.png.c444425223bb015bfa26025767d3d020.png

WOW, that’s a very clean look!

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY