Can thin donor area get thick and normal over time?

My donor area is grown back but it’s thin in comparison to before surgery. I was wondering if I keep taking my meds, is there a chance that the hair will become thick and normal or at least appear normal? 

I'm in the same boat and my doctor says it may take 6 to 12 months for the donor area to fully recover. On the other hand, I read some scientific studies which claim that it takes 3 to 4 months for the donor to fully recover from shock loss.

How long has it been since you had your surgery and how many grafts has been harvested? Can you post some pictures?

Jay00,

If you recently underwent hair transplant surgery, you’re donor her hair might continue to thicken up more up until about a year. It will only thinking up that is, if you’ve experienced shock loss so any of the shocked hair would return.  That’s sad keep in mind that your donor hair will likely be thinner after surgery because hair was taken/removed from that area and moved to the top of a scalp.  The hair that was removed will not grow back in the donor area.  Depending on how many grafts you had moved and transplanted, it will ultimately determine how much thinner the donor area is.

of course all of this is assuming that you’ve underwent FUE hair transplant surgery - FUT works differently.

Best,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.