Is finasteride vital for hair transplant results?

Smacias15

Hello, does taking Finasteride impact the growth of new transplant hair grafts or does it only impact your native hairs? I have a twin and he was on propecia and had sides. Being a twin, we have the same DNA so probably mean I'll have sides. But I heard fin doesn't have any impact on transplant grafts and just wanted to see if that's true

Thanks 

Edited by Smacias15

If I remember correctly, the native hair follicles on the front/crown of your head are weaker to DHT.
So replacing them with transplanted follicles from the back/sides won't have the same issue as the original (could be mistaken).

Regardless, you need to be on finasteride after a transplant to prevent future balding of your native hair.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SeanToman said:

If I remember correctly, the native hair follicles on the front/crown of your head are weaker to DHT.
So replacing them with transplanted follicles from the back/sides won't have the same issue as the original (could be mistaken).

Regardless, you need to be on finasteride after a transplant to prevent future balding of your native hair.

Ok. My doctor just prescribed me a bottle that has minoxidil and Finasteride together. Does that make them less efficient if they are combined in 1 bottle or should I buy minoxidil and Finasteride separately ?

Thanks 

Edited by Smacias15

7 minutes ago, Smacias15 said:

Ok. My doctor just prescribed me a bottle that has minoxidil and Finasteride together. Does that make them less efficient if they are combined in 1 bottle or should I buy minoxidil and Finasteride separately ?

Thanks 

To be honest, I've never heard of this mixture in the past.
However, I'm aware that finasteride can come in a foam/oil form to apply directly to the scalp. :)

People usually take finasteride (pill form) while using minoxidil without any issue.  It's said to be the most affective way to promote growth.

For most people, the pill form is also the most convenient method of taking the medication as it's easy to add to your daily cycle.
Whereas an oil/foam is more hassle to put on each day.

Personally I only take finasteride.
What ever suits you best sir. :)

Edited by SeanToman

10 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

To be honest, I've never heard of this mixture in the past.
However, I'm aware that finasteride can come in a foam/oil form to apply directly to the scalp. :)

People usually take finasteride (pill form) while using minoxidil without any issue.  It's said to be the most affective way to promote growth.

For most people, the pill form is also the most convenient method of taking the medication as it's easy to add to your daily cycle.
Whereas an oil/foam is more hassle to put on each day.

Personally I only take finasteride.
What ever suits you best sir. :)

Ok thanks for the Intel. What dosage of fin do take? I have never been on it and my twin had side effects. What routine/dosage do you recommend?

1 minute ago, Smacias15 said:

Ok thanks for the Intel. What dosage of fin do take? I have never been on it and my twin had side effects. What routine/dosage do you recommend?

1mg sir. :)
I normally take it in the morning while I have my cup of tea, I also take other medication so that's a big reminder.

Personally don't have any side effects.  I've heard that oil/foam variants of finasteride assist on preventing side effects also as it's not going through your whole system.  Hope this info helps!  

23 hours ago, SeanToman said:

1mg sir. :)
I normally take it in the morning while I have my cup of tea, I also take other medication so that's a big reminder.

Personally don't have any side effects.  I've heard that oil/foam variants of finasteride assist on preventing side effects also as it's not going through your whole system.  Hope this info helps!  

Yea that's why I'm leaning towards the topical because less sides. I'm gonna start a thread to get more of a feedback. Thanks for the help

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jon44 said:

Sean hair loss will continue with or without finestrade 

It's the difference between having a completely bald crown in the future or having hair there but of course not as thick as your teenage years. :)

23 hours ago, SeanToman said:

It's the difference between having a completely bald crown in the future or having hair there but of course not as thick as your teenage years. :)

My crown is fine but some people decide not to use fin they use min and that thickens hair.

1 hour ago, Jon44 said:

My crown is fine but some people decide not to use fin they use min and that thickens hair.

Minoxidil only encourages blood flow to the area, but doesn't stop DHT (the cause of hairloss). :) 
Hope this helps!

On 3/13/2022 at 2:03 AM, SeanToman said:

Hair loss will continue on the non-transplanted hairs

To me this was not the question. Fin has no impact on the result of a HT. If we are talking non-transplanted, a case by case assessment is in my opinioon to deterimine whether Finansteride is necessary. 

52 minutes ago, Mike10 said:

To me this was not the question. Fin has no impact on the result of a HT. If we are talking non-transplanted, a case by case assessment is in my opinioon to deterimine whether Finansteride is necessary. 

Wait.....Yes, Fin can have an impact on a hair transplant procedure.  Say the patient is dipping in the back and the doctor harvests grafts from the area that's thinning. Eventually this would lead to the thinning of the grafts, wherever they're transplanted. But say the patient in on Fin and the donor improves.  Theoretically the grafts will remain for as long as the patient continues the med, provided it is working for him.  But that was not the original question. 

"Hello, does taking Finasteride impact the growth of new transplant hair grafts or does it only impact your native hairs? I have a twin and he was on propecia and had sides. Being a twin, we have the same DNA so probably mean I'll have sides. But I heard fin doesn't have any impact on transplant grafts and just wanted to see if that's true"

So the answer remains Yes but only in very specific cases. 

The other way to look at this....Fin will have an overall effect on the results - if it works. Transplants + Native hair = total result.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

7 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

Wait.....Yes, Fin can have an impact on a hair transplant procedure.  Say the patient is dipping in the back and the doctor harvests grafts from the area that's thinning. Eventually this would lead to the thinning of the grafts, wherever they're transplanted. But say the patient in on Fin and the donor improves.  Theoretically the grafts will remain for as long as the patient continues the med, provided it is working for him.  But that was not the original question. 

"Hello, does taking Finasteride impact the growth of new transplant hair grafts or does it only impact your native hairs? I have a twin and he was on propecia and had sides. Being a twin, we have the same DNA so probably mean I'll have sides. But I heard fin doesn't have any impact on transplant grafts and just wanted to see if that's true"

So the answer remains Yes but only in very specific cases. 

The other way to look at this....Fin will have an overall effect on the results - if it works. Transplants + Native hair = total result.  

I guess that is a fair statement. I was more referring to the immediate HT result not the longer term

So then all modalities can have an impact.  If the hair in the donor is improved, it will ultimately impact the grafts harvested from exactly "the area" harvested. Off hand it would be the hair higher up on the donor, the area by the nape (thinning due to traction). 

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own.