SMP After a FUE hair transplant, thoughts?

Hello everyone,

I was just wondering what are your opinions on Skin micro pigmentation after a hair transplant?
More specifically, these two areas;

-Do you risk complications having a second transplant if you have done SMP in the past (ie. ink mistaken for a hair graft)?

-Do you feel SMP is a good idea in order to make the scalp look more dense after a transplant (frontal & crown)?

Just curious as to your honest thoughts. :)
Was considering maybe getting SMP done in the future for both scars and just to help with density.

Edited by SeanToman

It's great for camoflouging FUE scars. If you are going to use it for density enhancement it works best in midscalp and crown. I would recommend staying away from the hairline as it may becoming noticeable that something was done. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

12 hours ago, BDK081522 said:

It's great for camoflouging FUE scars. If you are going to use it for density enhancement it works best in midscalp and crown. I would recommend staying away from the hairline as it may becoming noticeable that something was done. 

Thanks, I thought so too in regards to the hairline, it surely would look-.. odd.

Depending on how long you keep your hair, it can help mask FUE scars and also be a way to give an aesthetic illusion of more density. However, poor SMP with progressive hair loss can be a thing. 

I would personally say the way i've seen it used was recently by a man in his 40s or more who went full SMP on a shaved head and created a hairline that looked way too straight and un-natural and i just spotted it a mile away and whilst intrigued, didn't want to be rude and stare too. I can imagine the decision to get it done was probably influenced by the same sort of stuff that makes us want to get a HT

Sean Toman,

I think scalp micro pigmentation or SMP is an excellent procedure that can accomplish many things. While it’s typically used to create an appearance of a buzz cut by using microdots to create tiny tattoos that look like little hairs on the scalp, it also can be used to camouflage donor scarring and to create an illusion of hair density in areas such as the crown and the mid scalp region.   In terms of a hairline however, it may be more difficult make it appear thicker and still look natural but I recommend talking to an SMP practitioner to get their opinion.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.