Hair growing thicker on one side compared to the other - post operation?

Hello everyone,

A common experience most people express is that one side of the frontal head grows faster/thicker than the other.

I was wondering what the science is behind this?

I'm at 5 months now and also experiencing this.  It's a curious thing.

Thanks.

34 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

Hello everyone,

A common experience most people express is that one side of the frontal head grows faster/thicker than the other.

Thanks.

not to worry you but it's possible more grafts were placed on one side than the other. Do you have post-op pictures of both areas?

Edited by SadMan2021

47 minutes ago, SeanToman said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks.

Did the same Dr/Tech work on both sides? Different people can sometimes yield different results.

@SeanToman,

to be honest, I don’t think it really has anything to do with science.  That said, I believe it has to do with the technicians and how they place the grafts or possibly the length of time the graphs were outside of the body.  You’ll notice that it’s typical that one technician works on one side of the scale works on the other side. If one side begins growing faster than the other it very well be because of how one technician is placing the grafts versus the other.  Some might be attacking them a bit more tightly than the other, causing the ones part more tightly to grow a little slower or, perhaps the ones that were outside of the body the shortest may be growing faster.

as a general rule, the longer the graph is outside of the bottom, the more risk there is of desocation which could impact growth. But, surgeons should we do everything I can to minimize this risk by keeping i’m outside the box for the shortest period of time and by using a solution that will keep them moist and hydrated.  

The above of course is my opinion based on logic and how Hair transplant surgery works in general.   There may be other relevant factors that I’m not currently thinking of.  Thus, I’d be curious what others have to say about that this.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

16 hours ago, AA1989 said:

When you say team - did you have one person exclusively working on your head or multiple people?

Two technicians, it looked like one was preparing the grafts while the other was implanting. 

2 hours ago, Runitback said:

My theory is that it might be more of a blood circulation or body chemistry effect than procedure related.   Is the right side always better for everyone?

Well, my right side is the side that's thicker, interesting!

3 minutes ago, Rahal Hair Transplant said:

@SeanToman,

to be honest, I don’t think it really has anything to do with science.  That said, I believe it has to do with the technicians and how they place the grafts or possibly the length of time the graphs were outside of the body.  You’ll notice that it’s typical that one technician works on one side of the scale works on the other side. If one side begins growing faster than the other it very well be because of how one technician is placing the grafts versus the other.  Some might be attacking them a bit more tightly than the other, causing the ones part more tightly to grow a little slower or, perhaps the ones that were outside of the body the shortest may be growing faster.

as a general rule, the longer the graph is outside of the bottom, the more risk there is of desocation which could impact growth. But, surgeons should we do everything I can to minimize this risk by keeping i’m outside the box for the shortest period of time and by using a solution that will keep them moist and hydrated.  

The above of course is my opinion based on logic and how Hair transplant surgery works in general.   There may be other relevant factors that I’m not currently thinking of.  Thus, I’d be curious what others have to say about that this.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant 

I think this would make the most sense to be honest, since one side is done before the other normally.

2 hours ago, SeanToman said:

Two technicians, it looked like one was preparing the grafts while the other was implanting. 

Well, my right side is the side that's thicker, interesting!

I think this would make the most sense to be honest, since one side is done before the other normally.

That does make logical sense also.  Would be an interesting study as I see this comment quite often.   Although, I think that normally this is discussed during the growth phase and I’m not sure if In the end the one side is permanently less dense?   I seem to recall that often people say that it just grows later and catches up?    

My right side is worse.  Another theory that I've seen is that sleeping position could cause asymmetrical blood circulation and hence speed/strength of hair growth.  Since we are sleeping almost a third of the day it could make sense.  I am a side sleeper (usually on my left) and my right has always been thinner than my left.  That was the case pre HT too, but also it appears like fewer grafts have grown or are in earlier stages of their growth cycles, trying to keep native hair aside.

Edited by Lightmare