Safe time estimate to wash off scabs

So I had a transplant on last week 1/31 and my doctor said to not touch the grafts with your hands for a month. And to not wash off the scabs until the 28th day with fingertips. But from what I have read here, seems like the consensus is the 9th day or so to wash off scabs. What is your guys recommendation and if waiting 28 days is harmful to wait this long to remove scabs?

Thanks 

Edited by MiradaEast

First, I would follow the directions of the doctor.  Did they give you post op instructions? Pls confirm the info.  You can typically start washing with the tips of your fingers at about the 7th day.  Did you do FUT or FUE? What did the doctor say about washing this area? Did they ask you to use any type of spray or cream in the area(s)?

Who did your work? It'll be interesting to find out who is recommending a month before you wash.  At that point I would be more concerned about infection, etc.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

15 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

First, I would follow the directions of the doctor.  Did they give you post op instructions? Pls confirm the info.  You can typically start washing with the tips of your fingers at about the 7th day.  Did you do FUT or FUE? What did the doctor say about washing this area? Did they ask you to use any type of spray or cream in the area(s)?

Who did your work? It'll be interesting to find out who is recommending a month before you wash.  At that point I would be more concerned about infection, etc.

Yes, he gave me instructions. I had fue, and they gave my sprays to moisture the grafts every 2 hours, vitamin e oil, hydrocortisone ointment for the donor, organic shampoo and Minoxidil spray 5%.  He said to wash the area twice a day with a spray bottle filled with water by just spraying a mist onto the grafts with organic shampoo with no physical contact with fingers on grafts. And on the 28th day, I could wash with my fingers for the first time. I know all doctors give different instructions but 28 day to remove scabs with fingers seem long. Whats your take?

Edited by MiradaEast

• Administrators

10 days is the safest time to wash off the scabs. Per the study published by Dr. Bernstein, the grafts are no longer at risking from becoming dislodged after 9 days. 

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

2 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

10 days is the safest time to wash off the scabs. Per the study published by Dr. Bernstein, the grafts are no longer at risking from becoming dislodged after 9 days. 

Ok perfect.  Glad I can start using my fingers to wash now. Will start tomorrow on my 10th day. Thanks 

@MiradaEast

While my advice is typically to follow the advice of your hair transplant surgeon, I’m very surprised to hear that you were told not to touch the scabs for a month.

Typically, clinic advice is not to touch them for the first few days but by days 4 or 5 (or a week at the most) instructions typically state to start gently massaging the grafts / scabs on the shower with your fingertips ina circular motion.   Usually within a week to 10 days (sometimes sooner) the scabs are gone.

You might want to double check with your hair surgeon to see if you misunderstood and I’d not, why he/she would be suggesting waiting so long.

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

As said by everyone else, the safest advice is to follow whatever your surgeon told you because he's the one that did your surgery and knows you personally. 

With all that being said, my surgeon actually has his patients start washing their recipient site very gently with conditioner and shampoo on day 3 and if you follow his directions, no more scabs by day 7 usually. 

Edited by jackiema
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Melvin- Moderator said:

Can I use shampoo instead of conditioner to remove scabs?

• Administrators
19 minutes ago, MiradaEast said:

Can I use shampoo instead of conditioner to remove scabs?

No, use conditioner. 

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.