Shedding at 4 months, very concerned

cortex

I had a somewhat small 500 FUE transplant in September to my entire hairline.  I am 4 months post op.

Things were looking a lot better until a week ago, when I noticed a thinning area in the central hairline.  The sides of the hairline are still intact. This central area was also the area that experienced significant shock loss post op.  I am very confused.  I wrote an email to my surgeon, who is very kind and knowledgeable, and he explained that it’s not uncommon to experience a second shed.

I also wanted to ask other patients if anyone here has also experienced a second shed in an area where they previously had post-op shock loss?

I am kind of panicking right now, wondering if this area will recover.  Normally you would expect that, by 4 months, the waiting game is over, so this has thrown me. 

Thank you

• Administrators

Can you share pictures?

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

On 2/1/2022 at 2:53 PM, cortex said:

No I don’t want to share pictures.  I just wanted to know if anyone else has had this happen.

you are pretty rude man, learn how to decline respectfully, especially to someone as helpful as Melvin. 

• Like 1

• Administrators

I don’t see any reason for concern. 4 months is the tip of the iceberg in terms of growth. Hair follicles go through seasonal shedding. The pictures look normal, nothing to worry about.

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.

• 3 months later...

the area did not experience any growth at all from 4th to 8th?

there are rare case on some permanent shedding due to shock iirc. is that area your native, or transplant?

Why did you only get 500 grafts? Was this just like a small touch up addition to a previous HT?

Do you have any more normal pictures of your hair and hairline? This gap area is conspicious when its front and center and zoomed in, but part of me thinks its a lot less noticeable when someone is holistically looking at your entire scalp.