Results from Dutasteride, Oral Minox, Spironolactone, Microneedling

Longer hair on my cheekbone and the side of the nose… Which is not ideal of course, But I’m willing to put up with this side effect. I’m taking 5mg twice a day. 

C48BE079-B08D-457E-9E72-AF00BC403DB8.jpeg

Edited by lostboy182

1 hour ago, lostboy182 said:

Longer hair on my cheekbone and the side of the nose… Which is not ideal of course, But I’m willing to put up with this side effect. I’m taking 5mg twice a day. 

C48BE079-B08D-457E-9E72-AF00BC403DB8.jpeg

This was the side affect of oral Minoxodil that had me concerned too where you get the unwanted hair there. 

I then came to the conclusion that you could try get those hairs lasered off and they shouldn't ve an issue anymore. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lostboy182 said:

10mg a day?

Not sure if thats safe for the ol' ticker.

Any side effects?

• Like 1

No, no side effects heart wise. I space the 5mg apart 12 hours exactly. I also started on 1.25mg once a day and only after 2 months would I gradually increase. But very slowly. Once I reach a decent level I will likely taper down to 2.5mg twice a day. 

2 hours ago, lostboy182 said:

So I’m pretty sure the oral minoxidil is the cause of this… But I’m seeing longer eyelashes… Some extra hair on my forehead as well. 

16153135-7D3E-4E72-A1B8-9C80893E51FF.jpeg

334DF2C4-8D05-479C-851B-918445976529.jpeg

5199335B-06CE-4AEC-B85E-B13F1C02FFC7.jpeg

7CB1E266-DA1B-4A0D-91A1-74E48C600C6A.jpeg

30 minutes ago, MAIZE1694 said:

10mg a day?

Not sure if thats safe for the ol' ticker.

Any side effects?

The forehead hair I will likely get lasered off, but only if it becomes too noticeable. For now no one has mentioned it, not even family, and they would not hesitate to point something like this out. 

11 hours ago, lostboy182 said:

The forehead hair I will likely get lasered off, but only if it becomes too noticeable. For now no one has mentioned it, not even family, and they would not hesitate to point something like this out. 

I think you could use a tweezer in the interim but honestly family, friends etc. can be funny on these things. By that, i mean family, friends etc. are sometimes the same people who don't point out hair loss and why you hear X, Y, Z person saying their mum etc. Thinks their Norwood 3 hair loss looks fine with no hair loss etc lol.

I'd personally just keep an eye on it yourself and trust yourself when to act with the laser but personally i do think your dosage of oral Minoxodil is really high. It's not usually recommended to go that high for hair loss purposes off label at all. 

I don't think you may be getting the benefits of that purpose but you potentially are increasing the side affect risk too but it's good to see you are trying to keep an eye on all that. 

I hope it does work for you, but you have probably one of the more extreme hair prevention stacks i've seen in terms of dosage for oral Minoxidil. 

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...
On 4/22/2022 at 7:57 PM, lostboy182 said:

No, no side effects heart wise. I space the 5mg apart 12 hours exactly. I also started on 1.25mg once a day and only after 2 months would I gradually increase. But very slowly. Once I reach a decent level I will likely taper down to 2.5mg twice a day. 

Curious why split it up vs 1 5mg dose?

• 1 month later...

Bumping an old thread, I know, but your post about spironolactone intrigued me and is something I’ve been looking into for quite some time. Do you feel that adding spiro made a definitive improvement to your hair regrowth? I can’t tolerate fin but I’m willing to try spiro.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Sorry for the delay in replying guys. I stopped all medication in September 2022, because me and my partner were trying for our first child. I wanted to wait minimum 2 months until all medication was out of my system. I just wanted to be safe and "over cautious". Anyway, all good news on the child front, and the latest 20 week scan is all fine and healthy 😁.

Of course my hair went backwards during 5 months off meds 😅. But a small price to pay - I have been back on all meds for the last 2 months now - 5mg oral minox a day, with Dutasteride and Spiro. I keep all meds in my office so no chance of any transferance at home.

I will take some scalp pics this weekend and upload.

@lostboy182,

This thread is a perfect example of just how effective the right combination of non-surgical solutions can be for the right candidate. Now, not everybody will experience your kind of growth and success from non-surgical solutions alone. However, this certainly should give people hope, especially those that may not be the best candidate for hair transplant surgery.

So it sounds like by switching finasteride to dutasteride, switching topical minoxidil to oral minoxidil, and then adding spironolactone, Nizoral and microneedling facilitated a massive difference in the reversal of hair loss.

most balding/thinning men are lucky if they can slow down or even stop the progression of male pattern baldness. In your case, you’ve seen a massive reversal.

all I can say at this point is, keep doing what you’re doing under the advice of a physician of course. It seems to be working for you and hopefully will continue to do so.

thanks for sharing and I hope and trust that your posts will provide inspiration to others in a similar situation.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Thanks 1

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

• 5 months later...

Thank you… No issues so far. Apologies, I haven’t updated this thread in awhile. I have had blood tests regularly and there have been no issues.

My son was born in October and he is a perfectly healthy boy with no problems. Just to point out, I came off all medication for two months prior to him being conceived.

I have been off all medication now for two months as we are trying for our second child. But once we have good news, I will be back on these meds.