How to determine hair characteristics?

I see many members talk about hair characteristics on here. Many have even quoted an exact "micron" thickness of their hair. 

Are there any doctors that can give you information about your hair characteristics? For instance - I think mine is fine, but that's just my own self assessment. Any consults out there that can share more precise info like micron width, donor density / sq cm, etc.?

I do believe any hair transplant doc (even the mediocre and bad ones) should be able to accurately tell you your hair characteristics and density/cm. (this may require an in-person consult though)

If a doctor cannot even tell you this, run far far away.

Edited by SadMan2021
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, SadMan2021 said:

I do believe any hair transplant doc (even the mediocre and bad ones) should be able to accurately tell you your hair characteristics and density/cm. (this may require an in-person consult though)

If a doctor cannot even tell you this, run far far away.

Thanks! I've been consulting with well known names thus far, but haven't explicitly asked for this info. Wasn't sure if it was standard info or not to ask about.

Usually a machine is used to determine the hair thickness and also density but there's been some generalisation made regarding race and hair calibre alongside density. 

With thicker hair said to do better in terms of having to use less grafts per Cm2 but also curly afro texture hair doing well to do this too but the nature of the hair making transection much higher in risk. 

Caucasian hair is apparently more fine and that's why it requires higher density but there's also issues of skin to hair contrast that factor in. 

Until we get unlimited DHT resistant clone hair, we actually won't ever know the optimum methods of true natural density hair restoration via transplants. There's no way to predict potential shock loss and permanence of it. Whether its better to shoot for a 2 sessions 50% density split over 12 months between sessions. Maybe even a higher density 65+ cm2 attempt and then a "fill in" 12+ months later. 

Also, as a single mega session density attempt, by using Saline as some surgeons do to enlarge the recipient zone and then as it shrinks back down, it's packed massive density. 

These are all going to need clinical studies. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Grouse said:

Thanks! I've been consulting with well known names thus far, but haven't explicitly asked for this info. Wasn't sure if it was standard info or not to ask about.

I personally have had a bad hair transplant in the past, because the doctor was very inexperienced and didn't know how to deal with my thick kinky donor hair, and how to match it with my scalp hair that is much more unremarkable and tame. Even experienced doctors can face challenges with this 

Hair characteristics and texture can definitely make or break a surgery if your surgeon is not experienced enough, so definitely bring up your hair characteristics in consultations! It's also an essential factor in determining graft count. 

Mind sharing who you've had consultations with so far? Have they been quick to respond? I myself am starting consultations for a repair surgery. Thanks. 

• Administrators

Hair thickness varies depending on where the hair is located, so keep in mind it may differ even if you test the microns.

• Like 1

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.