How many grafts? What am I on Norwood scale?

hello all. I hope all are doing well. I am 22 and have this hairline. I’d say I’ve had it like this for 2-3 years but really have always had a jagged hairline. My dad is in his 60s with a ton of hair in back but recessed similar to me up front. My moms side went bald at 22 and wore a come over for most of his life. Basically just curious how many grafts would I need to fill in the hairline back to a Norwood 0 basically or straight across? Also what am I considered on Norwood I’d say a 3 but my vertex is very dense and not any signs of recession there yet. Finally am I too young at 22 to have transplant? At what age does hair balding kind of stop or shall I see indicate where you may end? Thanks again have a great day.

Edited by Hans - Webmaster
Removed images for privacy reasons

I have a very very very similar hairline to yours, and I also have very little (if any) loss on the crown. My HT is booked, and my estimate was 3000-3500. So, I'd play it safe and guess somewhere around 3500 for you as well (assuming all you're wanting to do is fill in the corners and not lower it too much).

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Scream said:

I have a very very very similar hairline to yours, and I also have very little (if any) loss on the crown. My HT is booked, and my estimate was 3000-3500. So, I'd play it safe and guess somewhere around 3500 for you as well (assuming all you're wanting to do is fill in the corners and not lower it too much).

Yep exactly what I wanna do basically just go straight across from where the peak is. Will that number make it look thick as well? Is 22 an okay age to do it?

Most Clinics/Drs will ask you wait until around age 25. And quite a few would ask that your on Fin before even considering a hair transplant. Nobody can fully predict how much further you will progress. If your balding already at a young age then of course your likely to keep heading up the Norwood levels. 
You should talk to your own Dr/Dermatologist regarding meds to help you retain and maybe improve what your have at present. 
Without meds your most likely to continue to lose hair and you would be chasing the loss. 

Check out the forums recommended list:

https://www.hairtransplantnetwork.com/Consult-a-Physician/hair-transplant-surgeons.asp?sr=HRN-MOB

No harm in getting some consulting done, virtual or in person. 

• Like 2

Your age is probably your biggest hurdle. Ending up at a Norwood 3 around age 22 indicates you may have further loss. 

Hopping onto Finasteride and showing no further hair loss might help to demonstrate you are okay to be a candidate around 25.

Plus, this gives you an opportunity to save up and do your research on what the best method will be for you to use for your first hair transplant, with who for your goals and then hopefully make the right decision. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, NARMAK said:

Your age is probably your biggest hurdle. Ending up at a Norwood 3 around age 22 indicates you may have further loss. 

Hopping onto Finasteride and showing no further hair loss might help to demonstrate you are okay to be a candidate around 25.

Plus, this gives you an opportunity to save up and do your research on what the best method will be for you to use for your first hair transplant, with who for your goals and then hopefully make the right decision. 

Thanks means a lot. Yes I did worry about the age element but I do take oral fin for about a year. Thinking about oral minox as well but idk. Are there any doctors I should really reach out to? I’ve thought about ones in turkey just to get estimates but don’t know for sure

1 hour ago, Baldingat22 said:

Thanks means a lot. Yes I did worry about the age element but I do take oral fin for about a year. Thinking about oral minox as well but idk. Are there any doctors I should really reach out to? I’ve thought about ones in turkey just to get estimates but don’t know for sure

Turkey is usually full of hair mills who will drain your donor and leave you with subpar results but most people don't do their research and they won't know what the signs are and realise how they wrecked themselves. 

This forum has a list of recommendations for clinics and you can ask for a consultation but regarding Minoxidil, i would say topical Minoxidil with Microneedling 1x a week at a decent 1-1.5mm size should help be a solid regime for you. 

A Microneedling result apparently is more permanent whereas Finasteride and Minoxidil gains are only there as long as you keep indefinitely using them to maintain as much as you can. 

Everybody is an individual and nobody can 100% tell you how things will go, but they use generalisations based on your family history. 

I would say that the best thing to do is try and find a creative hairstyle to use whilst you go through your treatments and save money. There's plenty of other areas to improve yourself on whilst you wait for your hair transplant hopefully when the time is right. 

I think a lot of guys put too much emphasis on just one thing. You should improve things across the board in your life. 

Be like a butterfly. Undergoing that change in your cocoon over time. When you are done. Rise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NARMAK said:

Turkey is usually full of hair mills who will drain your donor and leave you with subpar results but most people don't do their research and they won't know what the signs are and realise how they wrecked themselves. 

This forum has a list of recommendations for clinics and you can ask for a consultation but regarding Minoxidil, i would say topical Minoxidil with Microneedling 1x a week at a decent 1-1.5mm size should help be a solid regime for you. 

A Microneedling result apparently is more permanent whereas Finasteride and Minoxidil gains are only there as long as you keep indefinitely using them to maintain as much as you can. 

Everybody is an individual and nobody can 100% tell you how things will go, but they use generalisations based on your family history. 

I would say that the best thing to do is try and find a creative hairstyle to use whilst you go through your treatments and save money. There's plenty of other areas to improve yourself on whilst you wait for your hair transplant hopefully when the time is right. 

I think a lot of guys put too much emphasis on just one thing. You should improve things across the board in your life. 

Be like a butterfly. Undergoing that change in your cocoon over time. When you are done. Rise. 

Boom amazing answer. So microneedling is there a good product online to buy for it? Also just avoid oral minox? Yes I want a HT at 22 but many have said atleast 25 wait

3 hours ago, Baldingat22 said:

Boom amazing answer. So microneedling is there a good product online to buy for it? Also just avoid oral minox? Yes I want a HT at 22 but many have said atleast 25 wait

I can't say avoid Oral Minoxidil but personally i take Dutasteride and i don't think i'd want to potentially compound my side affect probability with another oral medication. That's why i think topical Minoxidil can be a better and more targeted treatment method alongside Microneedling. 

Oral Minoxidil is also linked with causing unwanted body hair and growth elsewhere too. 

Regarding a Microneedling recommendation, i think there's a few Derma Pen brands out there which apparently are a better option and i'm going to look into this for myself soon because i think it's an investment and gets you results the others might now by themselves. I started off though using occasionally a derma roller off Amazon for a reasonable price and Isopropyl alcohol to clean it off in. It's probably better long term to use a Derma Pen. So best to look around. 

22 is a very young age, and tbh, it's usually an indication you might get worse if medication doesn't work. At least if you start a prevention and restoration attempt with medication, when you hit 25, you can prove you halted your hair loss and evidence why you're a suitable candidate to any reputable surgeon then. 

Everybody has their own unique struggles and some are hopeful whilst others don't look as good but the bottom line imo is that you aren't alone and having a community to help and support you find what you need to get through your own fight is important. Whether that be a transplant, deciding to fight with medicated treatments or just shaving it and calling it a day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NARMAK said:

I can't say avoid Oral Minoxidil but personally i take Dutasteride and i don't think i'd want to potentially compound my side affect probability with another oral medication. That's why i think topical Minoxidil can be a better and more targeted treatment method alongside Microneedling. 

Oral Minoxidil is also linked with causing unwanted body hair and growth elsewhere too. 

Regarding a Microneedling recommendation, i think there's a few Derma Pen brands out there which apparently are a better option and i'm going to look into this for myself soon because i think it's an investment and gets you results the others might now by themselves. I started off though using occasionally a derma roller off Amazon for a reasonable price and Isopropyl alcohol to clean it off in. It's probably better long term to use a Derma Pen. So best to look around. 

22 is a very young age, and tbh, it's usually an indication you might get worse if medication doesn't work. At least if you start a prevention and restoration attempt with medication, when you hit 25, you can prove you halted your hair loss and evidence why you're a suitable candidate to any reputable surgeon then. 

Everybody has their own unique struggles and some are hopeful whilst others don't look as good but the bottom line imo is that you aren't alone and having a community to help and support you find what you need to get through your own fight is important. Whether that be a transplant, deciding to fight with medicated treatments or just shaving it and calling it a day. 

Thanks glad I found this community. I’ve decided I’m going to wait atleast 3 years and then maybe make a deeper decision. Until then I will take fin and derma roll. I do have a dut script but I felt it made my skin dry do you notice it have any effects on your skin or hormone/ thyroid?

6 hours ago, Baldingat22 said:

Thanks glad I found this community. I’ve decided I’m going to wait atleast 3 years and then maybe make a deeper decision. Until then I will take fin and derma roll. I do have a dut script but I felt it made my skin dry do you notice it have any effects on your skin or hormone/ thyroid?

It's funny you mention dry skin. I have noticed a bit more but i also had that before I started and used to get very bad dandruff build up so been using Nizoral and recently adding T-gel. 

For dry skin, i wouldn't be surprised if its because i don't drink enough water. You're supposed to hit your 2ltr a day and i don't. Probably would make a world of difference.