? Fue beard from the neck or throughout the whole beard ?

I got my 6th HT coming up end of the month...    This time with Dr Mwamba. 

Its more of a repair job to fill in for more density in some areas.   1000 from depleted donar area... & For first time, I'll be using beard grafts, 500.  

I've looked up just about every beard fue post with pics/videos I could find on the internet. Vast majority are positive results.    

Here's the thing..   How come some Drs take from the bottom area neck area, and some take throughout the whole beard.    I've even heard one dr say in a youtube video that the neck area beard follicles are not very good. 

I was planning on telling Dr Mwamba to just take from the bottom neck area...  But now,  I don't know.   

Edited by Etownone

• Etownone changed the title to ? Fue beard from the neck or throughout the whole beard ?
  • Moderators

I think the lower down the neck you go the hair doesn't usually grow as long as the hair a bit higher up. I know some guys would rather use the lower hair because they shave that off anyway and would not mind having it gone, especially if they like keeping a beard and are worried about not being able to grow a decent beard after using grafts from just under the chin and jaw line, but I think on most guys that is probably the better hair to use.

On using the entire beard or not, It may be more down to how many grafts you are trying to get and how much beard hair you have. If you only need a few hundred grafts and have a very good growing beard than it makes sense to me to just use a small area under the chin, but if you need thousands of grafts then you may need to expand the donor area. Of course each Dr may have a different philosophy of whats the best way and best hair to use. For example if someone was very worried about still being able to grow a good beard than I can see taking grafts from all throughout the beard to keep it even and not noticeably thinner anywhere.

• Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.