Shockloss or transection in recipient area

I am two weeks post-op my touch up procedure of 300 grafts. Some density was added to my hairline. My surgeon placed the hairs between the pre-existing hairs (but also transplanted, Oct 2020). 

I haven't used any styling products for 14 days. Today I decided to give it a go and used some Clay Pomade.

While applying quite soms hairs sticked at my hand, more than I am used to. I believe it came from the recipient area. I didn't lose hairs this day and the days while washing. 

Is this expect to be shockloss? Or are the hairs around the transplanted area less resistant for pull and tugging caused by the stickiness of the product? Can it be the hairs that came loose are transected? 

Thanks, bit worried. 

1 day post-op

IMG20211219150841.thumb.jpg.3a62587063c0a9f985536152587c7d87.jpg

Edited by alex85

At day 14, the grafts are locked down very well. I don't believe you lost transplanted hair as a result of anything you did, however please refrain from using any hair products for at least the first few months. You don't want to use any hair products in the crucial healing phase. Could set you back on how well things progress for you. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply! It's not about the recent transplanted hairs, but the hairs that were already there, pre-existing, but transplanted in October 2020.

Edited by alex85

• Moderators

It's shock loss. They will grow back.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Shock loss is always possible anytime you undergo hair transplant surgery if hair is implanted in-between other natural hairs, no matter how small the procedure.  The good news however, is that shock loss is temporary and the hair will grow back.  However, if the hairs that were "shocked" were vellus and on their way out due to male pattern baldness, then it's possible that they won't grow back.  But in most cases, the shocked hair will grow back starting between 3 to 5 months and grow and mature up to a year, similar to the new transplanted hair.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

• Like 2

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.