Donor miniaturisation

Hi,

I am 33 yrs old considering a transplant. I have contacted various surgeons and I have been told by one of them they need to check my donor hair and miniaturisation < 20% in person to determine my candidacy for fue. I have attached a few pics. In one of them I shaved my donor to a 0.5mm. I did it myself using a trimmer so the hair is uneven as couldn’t get to all spots. Don’t have a bald spot there. Can someone pls tell me does my donor look ok and if I am good for a small procedure to fix the frontal zone ? I have recently in the last 3 months started to take oral minoxidil 2.5mg (loniten)and topical fin 0.025% (very low dose). Don’t wish to increase fin dosage but minox 5mg orally doesn’t seem like an issue. Thanks 

A05997D8-476A-4A4C-9062-9C319FBE2C26.jpeg

8A1194BA-B809-49D6-80F1-3FD30CB229E0.jpeg

117571CA-22BE-4F24-8B0D-A1F467AAAA9A.jpeg

3826D6C0-026E-40CE-815F-F8ED7056D423.jpeg

39EAB7F2-DFF5-49A6-B334-1CE7ECD8D24B.jpeg

Edited by Rocky B

The quality of the photo depicting your trimmed hair is not very good and it's impossible to decipher hair caliber.  The photos showing the donor do show a degree of retrograde.  The photos of the front show the fact you are experiencing loss, (miniaturization).  

A couple of things....You have black hair and light scalp.  The contrast is making things look worse.  

The good news, there is still a lot of hair you can save by considering all modalities, (Propecia, Rogaine, PRP, Laser).  I would encourage you to do them for 1 year and reassess.  Based on the result you can then decide if all the effort and expense are worth continuing the regimen.  Hopefully you will also improve the back and sides.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

15 hours ago, LaserCaps said:

The quality of the photo depicting your trimmed hair is not very good and it's impossible to decipher hair caliber.  The photos showing the donor do show a degree of retrograde.  The photos of the front show the fact you are experiencing loss, (miniaturization).  

A couple of things....You have black hair and light scalp.  The contrast is making things look worse.  

The good news, there is still a lot of hair you can save by considering all modalities, (Propecia, Rogaine, PRP, Laser).  I would encourage you to do them for 1 year and reassess.  Based on the result you can then decide if all the effort and expense are worth continuing the regimen.  Hopefully you will also improve the back and sides.

Thank you for the input. I am currently on 2.5mg loniten (oral minox-no sides) and 0.025% topical fin (no sides). I tried oral fin for a bit but didn’t want to continue and won’t take it. Do you think 1 yr will strengthen the donor (if it’s weak) enough for a frontal restoration. I don’t look that bad when hair is dry with a little bit of styling product but without that I either need to buzz cut or get a transplant coz the frontal half doesn’t look good and my hair is thin so doesn’t hold by itself like it use to. 

Edited by Rocky B

I'll share my point of view with you.  If I do something, I expect something in return.  There is always an expectation.  I think most people are like that.  Can't tell you the countless of times I've heard, "I used the medications but I didn't see anything." The medications are not intended for you to regrow anything.  It is to help you not lose any more.  So, if a year later you look the same, the medication did what it was intended to do. The combination of PRP/Laser, (if done properly), can help reverse the thinning.  Do some research on this. 

• Like 1

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

2 minutes ago, LaserCaps said:

I'll share my point of view with you.  If I do something, I expect something in return.  There is always an expectation.  I think most people are like that.  Can't tell you the countless of times I've heard, "I used the medications but I didn't see anything." The medications are not intended for you to regrow anything.  It is to help you not lose any more.  So, if a year later you look the same, the medication did what it was intended to do. The combination of PRP/Laser, (if done properly), can help reverse the thinning.  Do some research on this. 

thank you for your input. I will try prp and laser caps with oral minox and topical fin for a yr and get in queue and hopefully I can achieve the desired results and density and restore the frontal half. 

• Like 1

As far as I can tell in the photos, you’re donor hair looks fine.  Thus, as far as I can tell from looking at your donor and recipient areas in the photos, you seem like you would be a good candidate for FUE.  But as others said, using hair loss medication such as finasteride may help slow down or even stop the progression of further hair loss and as a result, reduce the number of follicular units or procedures you may need in the future to meet your goals.

Best wishes,

Rahal Hair Transplant

Edited by Rahal Hair Transplant

Rahal Hair Transplant Institute - Answers to questions, posts or any comments from this account should not be taken or construed as medical advice.    All comments are the personal opinions of the poster.  

Dr. Rahal is a member of the Coalition of Independent of Hair Restoration Physicians.

Nothing can be accurately assessed about the suitability of your donor without a microscopic examination…that is the only way to confirm it.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

• 4 months later...

If it were me, I would have it done soon.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY