Minimal time to do another surgery without waiting for the final results?

Hi all !
I know the final results will only be visible after 12-14 months, but I would like to know when (as soon as possible) can I do another surgery (add density) without checking the final results from the first surgery?
Thanks!

Edited by KevinHue

No. Typically hair starts coming in at 3 months.  In six months the caliber will improve and you'll notice a visual change.  Yes, it takes 12+ months to see final results.  And, while this does have a direct correlation as to when to consider another procedure, that has to do more with healing than anything else.  Thus, if FUT, you have to let the wound heal.  Most believe 8-12 months.  If FUE, you can move forward sooner.  

Taking a conservative approach is not a bad idea.  Allow the first procedure to mature.  The doctor will then be able to "see" and work in between what was placed the first time.  

Are you doing any type of medical therapy?

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

I'm taking finasteride.
I know I should wait and I haven't decided yet but my question is, when is it medically possible to do another operation (FUE) to add density without waiting for the final result ?

Edited by KevinHue

20 minutes ago, KevinHue said:

I'm taking finasteride.
I know I should wait and I haven't decided yet but my question is, when is it medically possible to do another operation (FUE) to add density without waiting for the final result ?

In my own experience, hair starts growing around Month 4. You should be able to have a decent forecast of the final result by Month 6. Growth ended by Month 8 or so. Yes the hair will thicken and "should" soften up to Month 18 or so, but all effects after Month 8 are negligible. 

How far post-surgery are you? Miracles are called miracles for a reason. 

If you are unsatisfied with your result and your gut is telling you there will be no further progress, I would book a secondary procedure for no earlier than 10 months since your last procedure. 

And if a miracle does happen, then good for you and you can just cancel the procedure.

• Like 1

Nobody could answer you that with precision, i believe it depends on every situation you currently are every month. 
I asked the same question to dr Lorenzo when I had my in person consultation and he told me after six months , he can see which grafts actually grow hair and the areas missing . But in my opinion I believe it’s safest after 8-9 months .

8 hours ago, KevinHue said:

There's no concrete answer to that question. Not only would it be situational, but I would imagine different surgeons are going to give you different answers based on their observations and unique points of view. My guess is that most of them would tell you to wait 8-12 months. If you've already chosen the surgeon you're going to use for your first hair transplant, this is something worth discussing with them. And if you haven't chosen one yet, I suggest discussing this with them when you have your consultations. If you know you're going to need multiple procedures from the beginning, the surgeon should be there to help you map out what that timeline looks like and come up with a game plan that best suits you. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56

• Moderators

My personal feeling is you need to wait at least 10 months unless you are transplanting to another area. Then you may be able to do it in a little as 6 months afterwards.

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

18 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

In my own experience, hair starts growing around Month 4. You should be able to have a decent forecast of the final result by Month 6. Growth ended by Month 8 or so. Yes the hair will thicken and "should" soften up to Month 18 or so, but all effects after Month 8 are negligible. 

How far post-surgery are you? Miracles are called miracles for a reason. 

If you are unsatisfied with your result and your gut is telling you there will be no further progress, I would book a secondary procedure for no earlier than 10 months since your last procedure. 

And if a miracle does happen, then good for you and you can just cancel the procedure.

I did the transplant 3 months ago.

Thanks for all your answers, I confirmed that I need to wait at least to the 10th month.