Bumped my head 5 days post-op FUE can this lead to follicle dead? (photo)

Bumped my head quite hard, I am just 5 days post surgery. I got 300 grafts transplanted (touch up). No blood so I know I haven't dislodged any grafts. There isn't any visible trauma/swelling.

At this stage, just 5 days post-op, can this incident lead to follicle dead? I presume grafts are still very vulnerable so could impact like this (hit, bump) kill grafts, even without blood? Like, you can break a bone without damaging the skin..

Thanks guys.

IMG_20211222_135620.jpg

Edited by alex85

25 minutes ago, alex85 said:

I just bumped my head quite hard and I am just 5 days post surgery. I got 300 grafts transplanted (touch up procedure). Since there is no blood I know I haven't lost any grafts.

But can impact at this stage, just 5 days post-op, lead to follicle dead? I can imagine the grafts are very vulnerable so maybe a hit can kill them...? Thanks guys.

IMG_20211222_135620.jpg

Most believe the grafts are secure after 3 days.  As a precaution I would call the doctor and ask.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Just took a shower, I think this is the location of impact. Maybe I am panicking, but after 2450 grafts in 5 years, it all felt like a rollercoaster. This touch up was the 'last' step and now I am so worried.

IMG_20211223_001412.jpg

Edited by alex85
  • Sad 1

@alex85 grafts can be dislodged by force up to Day 10. After Day 10, it requires surgical intervention to remove grafts. 

It is absolutely in the realm of possibility, that with enough force, you can dislodge grafts at Day 5. It's good there was no blood at least. 

In general, whether its a hair transplant, hip replacement, or root canal, please refrain from the rough housing and contact sports for at least 2 weeks. 

Also Day 6 seems too early to be taking normal showers. For my hair transplants I put water in a cup and gently poured it on my scalp, for the 1st 10 days. 

Taking a shower too early is really not as likely to dislodge grafts as bumping your noggin, but still.

Thank you @SadMan2021. Regarding the 'shower' I followed my surgeon instructions (top clinic in Belgium) which says to use very low water pressure and luke warm water, without touching the recipient area. I was not aware this is an uncommon instruction.

Edited by alex85
  • Like 1

• alex85 changed the title to Bumped my head 5 days post-op FUE can this lead to follicle dead? (photo)
6 hours ago, SadMan2021 said:

@alex85 Also Day 6 seems too early to be taking normal showers. For my hair transplants I put water in a cup and gently poured it on my scalp, for the 1st 10 days. 

Taking a shower too early is really not as likely to dislodge grafts as bumping your noggin, but still.

Day 7 is when you can start taking gentle showers with low pressure. Grafts are thoroughly adhered after Day 7 - 10. I think you should be fine though, and I would not worry about it as there is nothing you can do now. Just be careful and enjoy the ride!

1st Procedure: 3332 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 10.29.20
2nd Procedure: 1908 FUE Grafts | Shapiro Medical Group | 11.13.23

The first 72 hours are the most crucial when it comes to graft survival, so you're in the clear there. It's also a great sign that there was no blood, as that's the number one indicator of a dislodged graft. My best guess would be that this will all turn out just fine - but I don't think there's any way to know for sure until the regrowth starts to happen. So given that a definitive answer isn't possible, I would try my best to focus on the evidence that supports that it will all turn out okay. The alternative is to imagine the worst case scenario, which will only make waiting for your results that much more stressful. 

As for washing your hair, there are no universally accepted post-op protocols for how to care for your scalp post-op. It can be frustrating to have so much discrepancy amongst so many doctors, but it is what it is. At the end of the day, if you chose a qualified surgeon that you trust, there's no reason to not follow the guidelines they give you. 

Best of luck! And really sorry to hear about bumping your head. That was one of my biggest fears post-op - but it does seem like you'll be okay. 

I am a patient advocate for Dr. Parsa Mohebi in Los Angeles, CA. My views/opinions are my own and don't necessarily reflect the opinions of Dr. Mohebi and his staff.

Check out my hair loss website for photos

FUE surgery by Dr. Mohebi on 7/31/14
2,001 grafts - Ones: 607; Twos: 925; Threes: 413; Fours: 56