How does heat exposure and hot showers after a hair transplant affect the result?

So with my example: lured into a false sense of security (everything looks and feels normal) - I started taking normal hot showers, washing my scalp with hot water (still using baby shampoo) at the 10 day mark post op.

I contacted my surgeon and he said it was not ideal, but fine if the water was just luke-warm. It was not luke-warm 😆😭.

1. What kind of damage does hot water do to the grafts? e.g. Does it take survival from 80% to 60%?
  2. I generally like hot showers, how do I know water is too hot? 

7 minutes ago, _lshy said:
  • 1.What kind of damage does hot water do to the grafts? e.g. Does it take survival from 80% to 60%?
  • 2.I generally like hot showers, how do I know water is too hot? 

1. It takes the survival rate down to exactly 49.235%

2. Seriously? It's too hot when your brain says ouchie. 

For my last HT I accidentally poured hot water on my crown on like Day 8 or so. I was super concerned as well. As far as I can tell there was zero impact.

It takes the survival rate down to exactly 49.235%

I knew it. I should get another hair transplant right away.

For my last HT I accidentally poured hot water on my crown on like Day 8 or so. I was super concerned as well. As far as I can tell there was zero impact.

Haha thanks for sharing this, hopefully it all works out for me too

1 hour ago, _lshy said:

So with my example: lured into a false sense of security (everything looks and feels normal) - I started taking normal hot showers, washing my scalp with hot water (still using baby shampoo) at the 10 day mark post op.

I contacted my surgeon and he said it was not ideal, but fine if the water was just luke-warm. It was not luke-warm 😆😭.

1. What kind of damage does hot water do to the grafts? e.g. Does it take survival from 80% to 60%?
  2. I generally like hot showers, how do I know water is too hot? 

On day 10 you need surgery to remove your grafts, that pretty much tells you how much damage a hot shower does.

From my understanding, the reason you avoid it is because very hot water messes with the oil balance of the scalp and leads it to drying out, which can also cause excess oil production as well.  Basically, I’ve heard it causes unideal growth conditions at the scalp level.

my surgeon tells people to generally avoid hot water on scalp before or even well after surgery, it you want to min/max hair growth.

how true is all this?  Who knows...

Check out my journey here: