How to tell if a graft is lost?

Hey everyone,

I’m about 11 days post op, I earlier today a scab attached to a transplanted hair from my hairline came out, with a hair attached. I’m mildly freaking out that this is a lost graft - it’s just the hair with no “bulb” or anything attached, but from what I understand it’s a bit early for shedding?

Is this cause for concern? 

11 hours ago, Rmp said:

Hey everyone,

I’m about 11 days post op, I earlier today a scab attached to a transplanted hair from my hairline came out, with a hair attached. I’m mildly freaking out that this is a lost graft - it’s just the hair with no “bulb” or anything attached, but from what I understand it’s a bit early for shedding?

Is this cause for concern? 

If you lose a graft, you'll know immediately. You'll start bleeding.  And, if it happens, it will be within a day or two post op.  In the overall scheme of things, however, it will have no impact on the outcome.  

Typically a doctor will work uniformly through the area.  Thus, if there is uniformity - and all of the sudden you see a blank area, (no hair), either the graft was lost or it didn't take.  Keep this in mind when you go for your 6-12 mo post op visit.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

Oh, and it is likey the crusts, (dry blood) - along with hair is just falling off.  This is normal.  Hopefully you are scrubbing off by now.

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

• Administrators

I’m a paid admin for Hair Transplant Network. I do not receive any compensation from any clinic. My comments are not medical advice.

Check out my final hair transplant and topical dutasteride journey

View my thread

Topical dutasteride journey 

Melvin- Managing Publisher and Forum Moderator for the Hair Transplant Network, the Coalition Hair Loss Learning Center, and the Hair Loss Q&A Blog.

Follow our Social Media: Facebook, Instagram, Linkedin, and YouTube.