Honest assessment of current state - 28 years old - Diffuse thinner

Hello guys,

I have been lurking on this site for quite some time. Everything pales in comparison with it, anywhere else you go there's potential that you will encounter stigma, lies, and pretty much dreary atmosphere. I have to say that I'm impressed with sincerity of this community that has nothing to gain but thrives where many of us fail, in being noble and giving something valuable to complete strangers. For that reason alone you immediately feel some kind of inner drive to response, to give something back and that's going to be my plan in the future. There are numerous posters here that deserve their credit for keeping this site as helpful as it is. And knowledge gained within it's passages can only be described as invaluable and lifesaving. 

I'd like to hear your sincere opinions about my case that's currently not so severe but I'm aware of the fact that being diffuse thinner means that you can longer hide your loss and it can look satisfying in some conditions but it can change pretty quickly in the worse possible way. That's way I'll post some pictures with damp hair to make that difference more obvious and to show true extent of hair loss.

I've already gathered envious supply of Proscar for continuous consumption. Almost 4 months have passed since I've started to take it every single day. There is also topical minoxidil (Kirkland 5%) that's applied religiously every night before sleep. Currently, I can only report that shedding is becoming much less visible, at least that's how it looks like to me. I'm not rushing into surgery, plan is to stick with medication until maintenance or some regrowth becomes obvious. 

Depending upon how I react to the medication I'd like to put my head on the operation table for only a handful of doctors in Europe. Number one option for me is dr. Bruno Ferreira. We have already reached an agreement that I should wait and report again after 6 months pass. From all the doctors that I've contacted, he's the only one that gave personalized response from his own account, even sometimes answering on Sunday afternoon. 

However, don't be swayed by the fact that I've contacted few clinics, that doesn't mean that I want to do surgery desperately. Goal was to start with this marathon by being on the radar of some of the best doctors in the business. Maybe if I respond good to the medications surgery won't be needed at all to satisfy my needs. Shock loss is another thing with diffuse thinners, there's greater risk involved with that.

Feel free to comment!

BACK (1).jpg

FRONT (1).jpg

RIGHT SIDE ANGLE.jpg

TOP ANGLE.jpg

TOP (1).jpg

BACK ANGLE.jpg

BACK.jpg

FRONT.jpg

LEFT SIDE ANGLE.jpg

TOP.jpg

Edited by Kraki77

• Kraki77 changed the title to Honest assessment of current state - 28 years old - Diffuse thinner

I don't think you need surgery. As far as I can see from your pictures, there's really not even any recession or anything lost from your younger years to 'fix', just very mild thinning. 

I think you can keep the head of hair you have and most likely not have to even think about your hair again for decades if you just keep up with the treatments you're on.

Out of interest, what is your surgical plan; what areas are you looking to address?

In my opinion your hair is in great shape still, when you have wet it I can see a slight difference but still barely noticeable. I'm not sure if you use gel etc but my advice when going out is to use sprays as they prevent your hair clumping together and being more noticeable. I used to prefer to use the the wet sprays rather than the aerosol ones. If I was to pass you in the street or look at your hair I would not even contemplate if you was losing it so enjoy what you have got mate 👍🏻 

5 hours ago, Curious25 said:

Stick with the meds, and you’ll be fine for a long time. 

It's definitely something that has to be prioritized and without it expectations should be lowered accordingly. Thank you for kind words and reassurance.

4 hours ago, JDEE0 said:

I don't think you need surgery. As far as I can see from your pictures, there's really not even any recession or anything lost from your younger years to 'fix', just very mild thinning. 

I think you can keep the head of hair you have and most likely not have to even think about your hair again for decades if you just keep up with the treatments you're on.

Out of interest, what is your surgical plan; what areas are you looking to address?

Maybe it's not that apparent from these camera angles but frontal recession is very obvious and it makes my already big forehead more prominent. Plan would certainly be to bring symmetry to the face and frame it in the best possible way. That doesn't necessarily mean that hairline has to be lowered, someone as skilled as dr. Ferreira can certainly pull it off by implanting reasonable amount of grafts at the existing hairline which would make great difference. Temple points are another potential area for few hundred grafts. Again, everything revolves around medications and how I respond to them. Patience is paramount as well as balanced expectations, everything else should be put aside and considered entirely redundant, at least for now. I really appreciate kind words and support.