Cortisol before hair transplant?

Hello everyone,

I had a friend of mine that recently got a hair transplant locally here in Sweden, and the clinic gave him a prescription to take cortisol during a whole week before the hair transplant. He told me it was because they wanted to lower his immunity in order to lessen the risk of having the body reject the transplanted hairs. I've read everything I could come across about hair transplants but never heard of a clinic telling patients to take cortisol before the hair transplant. So it made me curious, have I totally missed to read about it and is it really a thing among HT clinics to prescribe cortisol before HT? Is the advantage for real? 

3 hours ago, Falconary said:

Hello everyone,

I had a friend of mine that recently got a hair transplant locally here in Sweden, and the clinic gave him a prescription to take cortisol during a whole week before the hair transplant. He told me it was because they wanted to lower his immunity in order to lessen the risk of having the body reject the transplanted hairs. I've read everything I could come across about hair transplants but never heard of a clinic telling patients to take cortisol before the hair transplant. So it made me curious, have I totally missed to read about it and is it really a thing among HT clinics to prescribe cortisol before HT? Is the advantage for real? 

@Dr. Suhail KhokharIs a good source of information here ! How’s your own search coming along ? I remember you was looking for a clinic. 

That is very strange. Our body will not reject our own hair follicles. 

Edited by Dr. Suhail Khokhar
  • Like 2

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider.