Typical sides you experienced from Finastride which made you go off?

londonhairlossvictim

Just wanted to know from people who took Finastride and went off the following:

When did you experience sides?
If you did, what type of sides?
And if you then decided to go off, did it get better?
Last, did you switch to something else successfully with results, like Dutestride?

Reason I am asking is because I've been on Finastride 2.5 years now. The first year I would say it was fine, no sides. I feel after the first year then it started to effect in terms of when I ejaculate, it's no where near what it used to be. Sometimes I get alot, but on a consistent basis, on average it's very less so I'm classifying that as one of the sides. Also I don't think I get as hard as I used to. So I'm going to go off it and either look into Topical Finastride or I've seen a few members here use Topical Dustestride succesfully too.

Thanks in advance!

• Like 2

• Valued Contributor

@londonhairlossvictim that's a very good question. And the reason that it is, is because the symptoms of side effects vary greatly among people, as do the cessation of side effects once the drug is stopped. For my myself I was taking 1mg per day and I noticed that around the 3-4 month mark my libido was gone. I contacted Dr Arika about this and she said to stop the drug and once the side effects disappeared then to restart the mediation at 1mg a day every second day. When I stopped taking the drug my libido returned (in a nice rebound effect 😂) after 10 ten days. I have recently gone back on finasteride and I am micro dosing on .5mg every second day with no side effects.

One thing I would like to add without getting off the topic is that as a Norwood 6 is that I definitely noticed my donor hair all over feeling much more 'prickly' and thicker. I buzz my scalp everyday and when I let it go for a couple of days the hair definitely felt stronger and my 'lower crown' felt like it was filling in.

49 minutes ago, Gatsby said:

@londonhairlossvictim that's a very good question. And the reason that it is, is because the symptoms of side effects vary greatly among people, as do the cessation of side effects once the drug is stopped. For my myself I was taking 1mg per day and I noticed that around the 3-4 month mark my libido was gone. I contacted Dr Arika about this and she said to stop the drug and once the side effects disappeared then to restart the mediation at 1mg a day every second day. When I stopped taking the drug my libido returned (in a nice rebound effect 😂) after 10 ten days. I have recently gone back on finasteride and I am micro dosing on .5mg every second day with no side effects.

One thing I would like to add without getting off the topic is that as a Norwood 6 is that I definitely noticed my donor hair all over feeling much more 'prickly' and thicker. I buzz my scalp everyday and when I let it go for a couple of days the hair definitely felt stronger and my 'lower crown' felt like it was filling in.

Ok so in your case you went off the daily 1mg and then you moved onto 0.5mg every second day - and that's better in your case in general everything?

Regards to your second comment, are you saying when you went onto .5mg every second day that was the feeling you are getting? So basically your happier with .5mg every second day for sex + hair than you were 1mg every day?

And is that oral tablet or topical Finastride?

• Like 1

• Valued Contributor

Yes. The first trial on oral 1mg a day gave my donor and crown more strength but at 3 months my libido disability. 
The current trial of oral 0.5mg has (so far) not affected my sex drive and still aids my donor hair and lower crown in strength.  
The thing though I notice from users who develop side effects is that the side effects can emerge at anytime from a day or two to two years later. That’s why if I suggest people to consider using Finasteride to give it at least a year. Both in case of side effects occurring and to see the full positive benefits of the drug. If part of your hair transplant plan is to rely on Finasteride then you want to make sure that you have a good shot of tolerating it before you start surgery.

Edited by Gatsby

Do you know if there is a reason hair clinics/professionals always say Finastride but never mention Dustestride?
I never even heard of Dutestride until I came to this forum and people saying they are using it.

I guess the only place I've seen it mentioned publically is on Dr. Mwamba's site where they are selling it on their site so obviously to their patients they give them the option with reasoning for Fin or Dut.

• Like 1