Shaving of the recipient area

spend a little time doing some research here as this is a common concern for many. Use the find feature and you will find some great threads.

There are many docs that do not require shaving, but with larger sessions (not sure about your norwood level) shaving is definitely more optimal.

My initial HT thread:

done and done!! Check it out...

Hi r4hair,

This was also a requirement of mine. I chose to have my procedure done with Dr. Alexander in Phoenix AZ. My first was 2700 grafts and I was super happy with the results. So much so I went back for a second of 2500 a year later. Check out his work. He's definitely one of the top HT Dr's around. If you're not going to be shaving the recipient area you should definitely plan on having less than 3000 grafts as it is more difficult for the Dr. and staff to place the grafts amongst existing hair and this seems to be the max # of grafts clinics will do without shaving.

In both I had my procedure done on Wednesday and was back to work on Monday without anybody knowing at all.

Best of luck!

Are there any thoughts on whether outcomes are better when the recipient site is shaved or done within the existing recipient hair. I have spoken to a few surgeons and am getting differing opinions. This is a very important post op cosmetic concern

spex,

Thanks for the input. What I am trying to figure out is if the final outcome is better with a shaved head compared to grafts placed within existing hair. If there is any proven data that demonstrates that density and outcomes are any better in the end. I have been recommended to have approx 2500 grafts. I am a surgeon and am having a difficult time with the cosmetic issue of having a shaved head and then working and it seems that it would be obvious that co-workers and colleagues would know that a procedure has been done. I do not have the luxury of wearing a hat or baseball cap or being off extended time from work and not sure how I can accomplish it. I have researced and talked to numerous top surgeons on this site for time and this is the remaining issue that is as yet unresolved in my mind

Any thoughts?

I think the final outcome primarily depends mostly on the quality/experience of the doctor and your individual case/characteristics more than on whether not you shave the reciepient area. Spex points are very good and I don't think anyone would argue that it's definitely optimal for the Dr. and staff if you shave the recipient area.

With that said there are some such as myself who for many reason (work, desire to keep it my little/big secret, not wanting to go through the ugly duck phase, inability to live under a hat for a while etc.). Also, if you barely have any hair in the area then you've got nothing to lose by trimming it down. I myself had somewhat diffuse thinning and wasn't lowering or really altering my hairline so I was able to conceal it very effectively.

As I've said on other posts about this topic, there's no way top Dr's such as Dr. Alexander, Dr. Konior, Dr. Ron Shapiro, Dr. Keene, Dr. Cooley and others are going to risk their reputation of producing sub par results simply by not requiring that the patient shave. These Doctors consistently produce TOP results with or without requiring shaving. The doctor needs to make the call in each situation since session sizes definitely need to be < 3000 and each individuals characterisics are different so in some cases they may make the call to only do it shaved.

It's definitely a decision to think about and you should at least meet with 1 or 2 of these doctors to help ease that decision. My own personal choice was to not have a soul know that I've had this done and I've been able to succefully do that without a problem (being single at the time of HT's was definitely a big factor in making that possible). I chose not to shave down and chose Dr. Alexander and I would do the same thing again without question!

Good luck in your search.

I had my surgery with Dr. Konior 2000 grafts without shaving...I swear to god I can not even tell where the grafts are and I am only 1 day out...Awsome...By the way Dr. Cooley told me once that he shaves maybe one patient a year...and he is also top notch...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...

Great input. I have spoken to both Drs. Konior and Cooley who echo those thoughts and do not require shaving under a certain number of grafts. Dr. Rahal tells me that he requires it for all of his cases. I am trying to figure out if these docs get similiar results with cases around 2500-3000 grafts and if so then I guess that shaving is not "required" then.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Originally posted by flyby:

With that said there are some such as myself who for many reason (work, desire to keep it my little/big secret, not wanting to go through the ugly duck phase, inability to live under a hat for a while etc.). Also, if you barely have any hair in the area then you've got nothing to lose by trimming it down. I myself had somewhat diffuse thinning and wasn't lowering or really altering my hairline so I was able to conceal it very effectively.

As I've said on other posts about this topic, there's no way top Dr's such as Dr. Alexander, Dr. Konior, Dr. Ron Shapiro, Dr. Keene, Dr. Cooley and others are going to risk their reputation of producing sub par results simply by not requiring that the patient shave. These Doctors consistently produce TOP results with or without requiring shaving. The doctor needs to make the call in each situation since session sizes definitely need to be < 3000 and each individuals characterisics are different so in some cases they may make the call to only do it shaved.

I agree with Flyby's statement above. We've performed surgeries for years without shaving on majority of our patients. Surgeries do take longer if the field is not clear but it's the technique we grew up on. No doubt it's easier to make incisions and plant when the field is wide open but it's not a matter of choice for many.

I have seen Drs. who shave down and get awful results, then there are Drs. who don't shave and get excellent results (Cooley,Konior,Shapiro,Alexander etc.) I think it has to do with surgeon comfort and technique. I also beleive as time goes by, more and more surgeons will begin to offer non shaven HT's...it's just a matter of time...IMO...

Just a thought from the peanut gallery...