20 years old - HT?

Hi everybody,

I am 20 years old and been on propecia for 7-8 months already. I can see it has slowed down my hair loss and hopefully I will see it stop it altogether soon. I would consider myself a norwood 3 on the way to a 4 if my hair loss doesn't stop. I would mainly like to restore my hairline. It seems like the thinning on the crown is slowing because of the propecia. Both sides of my family have hair loss history as well as my father being completely bald. I have been contemplating on getting a ht for months now. I have weighed the risks and benefits and have researched and learned just about all there is to know about getting a ht at my age. I can't see myself going through my 20s without a healthy head of hair and the confidence I should be living with each day. The only thing I am worried about is if I do get a ht now that would mean I would have to use propecia for a long time/the rest of my life. Im just not too thrilled about using any medication for the long term. I havnt expereienced any neg side effects so far but who knows what it will do in a couple years time. I would appreciate your input or advice. thanks

Hi everybody,

I am 20 years old and been on propecia for 7-8 months already. I can see it has slowed down my hair loss and hopefully I will see it stop it altogether soon. I would consider myself a norwood 3 on the way to a 4 if my hair loss doesn't stop. I would mainly like to restore my hairline. It seems like the thinning on the crown is slowing because of the propecia. Both sides of my family have hair loss history as well as my father being completely bald. I have been contemplating on getting a ht for months now. I have weighed the risks and benefits and have researched and learned just about all there is to know about getting a ht at my age. I can't see myself going through my 20s without a healthy head of hair and the confidence I should be living with each day. The only thing I am worried about is if I do get a ht now that would mean I would have to use propecia for a long time/the rest of my life. Im just not too thrilled about using any medication for the long term. I havnt expereienced any neg side effects so far but who knows what it will do in a couple years time. I would appreciate your input or advice. thanks

baldboy123,

Please post some pics.

As well as finasteride, you will have to get on minoxidil for the rest of your life.

What level of baldness does your father have?

Please consult a surgeon who can give you better advice on the long term goals, such as the placement of your hairline. At 20, I don't know if you would like to have a mature hairline? You will have to stay out of the crown.

take care...

For the love of God...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

If you are a high norwood now, this is such a high stakes game...wait it out and you have time for a new treatment to come in. Otherwise, you will be broke and always chasing your hair.

Dec. 2004 - 1938 Grafts via Strip

Feb. 2009 - 1002 Grafts via FUE

You will not have to take propecia for the rest of your life. Propecia loses its effectivness after 8-10 years therefore becoming pointless to use. The same holds true for Minoxidil. Both of these products only delay the innevitable.