Thinking of flying to USA for HT from SE Asia

Just came across this site and forum last week and have been impressed with the level of detail and information available, including the openness with which everyone shares their experiences. I have read many of the posts here and request members' advice.

I am 35 years old and have been suffering from a receding hairline and crown. Given I live in SE Asia and don't have high quality HT Surgeons close by (except for India and Turkey), over the years I have made 3 visits to Dr. Robert Bernstein in NYC and is someone I am comfortable with.

For a few years I was using Minoxidil and Finasteride until my wife and I decided to family plan (went off Finasteride). The family planning has worked well and we are now done with that phase of our life. During this time, hair loss was constant which leads me to the current condition. I feel I am eligible for an FUE procedure.

Given the current COVID conditions it is quite difficult for me to make a trip to the USA just to meet surgeons with a HT to be done months later. It is also difficult to travel to India given the current COVID conditions and the fact that my country is making it very difficult for people to enter from India. Currently, the country with the fewest restrictions for me would be the USA (even though its a 25+ hour trip). Another reason I favor the US is that I was educated in the US, it has been constant holiday destination for my family, and its a place I feel comfortable.

I shall be traveling to LA for my other medical requirements in mid July and was looking for advice on how best to proceed. I was ideally looking to have a HT done during my visit but was wondering whether I need to have a physical visit with the doctor. Also, I was ideally looking to get it done in/around LA so I don't have to make additional trips given that COVID is still an issue in the US. Nevertheless, I am well aware that the most important factor is the surgeon and not the location.

I have a phone consultation scheduled with Dr. Yazdan in the coming week, but I realized there are very few reviews of him here and that concerned me. I had registered for another online consultation with Dr. Bernstein but have not heard back from their offices. 

Am attaching some pictures of my hair for reference. 

Greatly appreciate everyone who has read through this post and thank you in advance to those willing to help me through this process. I hope I have been clear in the explanations above. 

Back.jpeg

Front.jpeg

Left 1.jpeg

Left 2.jpeg

Right 1.jpeg

Right 2.jpeg

Top.jpeg

Top2.jpg

Edited by clutch09

It is highly unlikely that any surgeon worth going to will be able to give you a surgical reservation date in July. No reputable surgeons have less than a month scheduled out. You're only chance would be for a last minute cancellation but it's very difficult to plan around that. Best bet would be to meet with potential surgeons in this upcoming trip and schedule surgery for next year. 

Bosley 11-2016 FUE - 1,407 grafts

Dr. Diep 09-2017 FUE - 2,024 grafts

Dr. Konior 03-2020 FUE - 2,076 grafts

Dr. Konior 09-2021 FUE - 697 scalp to scalp, FUE - 716 beard to beard Total scalp FUE - 6,204 grafts 

First things first.....

Back in the day, when Merck reps visited our office, the subject of the use of Propecia and family planning was discussed constantly.  For the med to have any effect, (we were told), a man would need to ejaculate a quart...I don't even think an elephant can do that.  But be what it may....I would encourage you to discuss the use of medical therapy with your doctor.  Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and laser are the modalities we typically discuss when talking about this debilitating condition.  And why is this important? If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  

Looking at your photos, (and your hair is plenty long), I note the hair on your sides is very sparse and it seems to be curling.  You may be experiencing DUPA.  Ask the doctor to confirm.

We are living in strange times and, with this new variant lurking, it will be difficult to move forward rapidly.  Can it happen? Sure! But you it's a risk in many fronts.  I think it is important to remember you are dealing with PERMANENT.  If good, great.  If poor, you'll wish you'd taken your time.  With how rapidly things are improving, I would encourage you to consider getting back on a medical regimen to help you with retention and perhaps enhancement of the native hair.  A year later you may be in a much better situation.  

Patient Consultant for Dr. Arocha at Arocha Hair Restoration. 

I am not a medical professional and my comments should not be taken as medical advice. All opinions and views shared are my own. 

2 hours ago, BDK081522 said:

It is highly unlikely that any surgeon worth going to will be able to give you a surgical reservation date in July. No reputable surgeons have less than a month scheduled out. You're only chance would be for a last minute cancellation but it's very difficult to plan around that. Best bet would be to meet with potential surgeons in this upcoming trip and schedule surgery for next year. 

Thank you for the quick response. Yes I am coming to the same understanding. 

While in LA, I understand that Dr. Carman, Dr. Mohebi and Dr. Diep are the ones to visit? 

1 hour ago, LaserCaps said:

First things first.....

Back in the day, when Merck reps visited our office, the subject of the use of Propecia and family planning was discussed constantly.  For the med to have any effect, (we were told), a man would need to ejaculate a quart...I don't even think an elephant can do that.  But be what it may....I would encourage you to discuss the use of medical therapy with your doctor.  Propecia, Rogaine, PRP and laser are the modalities we typically discuss when talking about this debilitating condition.  And why is this important? If you've shown the propensity to lose, you will continue losing.  

Looking at your photos, (and your hair is plenty long), I note the hair on your sides is very sparse and it seems to be curling.  You may be experiencing DUPA.  Ask the doctor to confirm.

We are living in strange times and, with this new variant lurking, it will be difficult to move forward rapidly.  Can it happen? Sure! But you it's a risk in many fronts.  I think it is important to remember you are dealing with PERMANENT.  If good, great.  If poor, you'll wish you'd taken your time.  With how rapidly things are improving, I would encourage you to consider getting back on a medical regimen to help you with retention and perhaps enhancement of the native hair.  A year later you may be in a much better situation.  

Thank you very much for your response and for informing me of the possibility of DUPA. I will definitely get this checked. I have already returned to the medical regimen though it would be helpful to meet some good Doctors to understand where my hair is headed towards, especially for the DUPA you pointed out. I look forward to engaging and learning more on this forum. 

22 hours ago, deeznuts said:

What about Kongkiat Laorwong? He's in Thailand which is SEA. I saw one of his results the other day and was thoroughly impressed

Will check him out. Preference would be the US or India as have good support systems in both places. Thanks!

6 hours ago, dtap said:

I would just concentrate on getting a transplant  on the crown. The front of your scalp isnt that bad. It actually looks good

Thanks and agree on the crown, it definitely needs the most attention. Would like the hairline to be restored as well.