Scarring alopecia - is removing scars(bumps) possible by FUT?

First of all I'm sorry if this thread belongs to another section.

Hello everyone I really need help with removing these scars from my scalp if possible.

I've been to dermatologists regarding this issue numerous times, and they couldn't help me with it in any way.

My diagnosis is Perifolliculitis Capitis Abscedens et suffodiens(Dissecting Folliculitis)
I would like a professional opinion on this.
I only want these bumps removed. The scar tissue is hard when I touch it and I can't squeeze pus out of it. It feels like raised thick skin.

I found the picture of this procedure done on the internet where these scars were surgically somewhat successfully treated.

I was wondering if a FUT hair transplant doctor could surgically cut and remove these bumps and sew the surrounding skin back together so that only a small scar line is visible just as it is done using the FUT method.
Is there any solution for this?
Thanks.

1.PNG

2.PNG

4.PNG

6.PNG

sequentiele-excisie-dissecting-folliculitis-3.jpg

• Moderators

A scalp reduction can be done to remove the bumps, but its going to leave you with a scar from the procedure. It just won't be a raised bump like it is now, but the scars may be even more noticeable, so you may end up wishing you didn't do the surgery. Also since it appears that you have multiple small bump scars you would end up with multiple reduction scars. Then there is the question of whether the scarring you have is still active and getting worse because if it is then eliminating it now may only last a short time before it comes back again.

Edited by BeHappy
  • Like 1

Al

Forum Moderator

(formerly BeHappy)

I am a forum moderator for hairrestorationnetwork.com. I am not a Dr. and I do not work for any particular Dr. My opinions are my own and may not reflect the opinions of other moderators or the owner of this site. I am also a hair transplant patient and repair patient. You can view some of my repair journey here.

Because there are multiple areas of these bumps, it would be a complex situation for any surgeon to remove them...and I agree with BeHappy that the issue of having multiple scars might end up to be more troublesome for you....as an option, a top end quality hair system would cover all of them.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY

Hi! Thank you for your replies.
The scarring has not been progressing, for years it's been like this.
I was wondering if an SMP procedure could maybe minimalize the scar lines after the FUT-like(scalp reduction) surgery to remove the bumps.
If all these options fail, I can always opt for a hair system, however (sorry for my frustration) I still can't understand why it is so difficult and complex to perform this surgery with satisfactory results.
Thanks.

Edited by scarringAlopecia

It would undoubtedly take a number of vertical incisions to remove the rows of bumps and you would need alot of scalp laxity to accommodate the removal of that much scalp...also there is an abundance of blood vessels that would also end up being severed and even removed...the result might leave you with an acute numb scalp...some docs may view this as being too risky.

Yet we are not physicians so it's best to get multiple opinions from surgeons on this to be safe.

• Like 1

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY