Scalp pigment changed after FUT

I had a FUT procedure done 4 years ago and unfortunately the area that the hair went to was almost bleached in a way where it doesn’t tan like the rest of my skin. It’s almost as if the entire scalp is scar tissue or new something. 
2 questions:

- had anyone seen this before/what causes this?

- can it be reversed/fixed?

3585D50A-A040-429A-8A0D-E428DEA1A9DB.jpeg

Hypopigmentation. Usually occurs in burn scars due to reduced blood flow. It's quite rare from surgery. 

There's fractional laser resurfacing as treatment, but unfortunately that would cause hair loss. PDL lasers which do not affect hair follicles are more suitable for hyperpigmentation.

I have this too, though I haven’t gone through surgery. It became really pronounced last year at 37. Mine is along hairline is some places and extends a couple inches behind the ears and onto my forehead. I just to be religious about wearing sunscreen or wearing a hat and neck gaiter when outside for long periods of time. I asked my dermatologist about he said it was just from years being out in the sun, although I was a little skeptical of that answer and think there’s a little more to it. 

I agree that this type of occurrence is rare...looks mostly like an area of compromised blood flow.

Gillenator

Independent Patient Advocate

I am not a physician and not employed by any doctor/clinic. My opinions are not medical advice, but are my own views which you read at your own risk.

Supporting Physicians: Dr. Robert Dorin: The Hairloss Doctors in New York, NY