Are my estradiol levels too high to start finasteride?

Ronnieman

I don't know where else to ask this question.

My estradial levels are:

133 pmol/L (Average in men is 48-154)

or 

36.22 pg/mL (Average in men is 10-40 pg/mL)

That seems pretty high. I'm pretty bummed to be honest.

For any experts here:

-Does that mean it could be risky for me to take fin?

-Would people with these levels be better off not taking it?

The best place to ask would be in your doctor's office. I wouldn't trust replies from any internet forum, even this one, when it comes to interpreting lab results and making medication decisions based on them. And I would stress that even more if you have any pre-existing medical conditions.

• Like 1

Your estradiol levels are actually within normal limit. No cause for concern. As always, speak with your personal physician before starting finasteride though. 

• Like 1

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider. 

36 minutes ago, Dr. Suhail Khokhar said:

Your estradiol levels are actually within normal limit. No cause for concern. As always, speak with your personal physician before starting finasteride though. 

Thanks doctor.

I am actually worried about my liver more, as my ALT level was 52, and I hear finasteride is processed through the liver.

A question- would topical finasteride also be processed through the liver, or just oral?

Edited by Ronnieman

4 minutes ago, Ronnieman said:

Thanks doctor.

I am actually worried about my liver more, as my ALT level was 52, and I hear finasteride is processed through the liver.

A question- would topical finasteride also be processed through the liver, or just oral?

Most meds are processed by the liver through the CYP-450 pathway, etc. Topical finasteride is localized so it's not really processed by the liver. The chances of systemic side effects are almost nil with topical finasteride because it's not systemically absorbed for the most part. Feel free to direct message me.

My advice does not constitute a patient-physician relationship nor as medical advice and all medical questions/concerns should be addressed to your medical provider.