Can hair colouring cause/increase hair loss?

psychopomp1

I've been using Regaine/Rogaine 5% foam and 1mg Finasteride for a while and generally happy with the results. However a few months ago I started to see extra grey hairs appear so perhaps foolishly started using a colouring shampoo -GX Control Shampoo. Initially i was using this daily for 2 weeks and then 2-3 times a week. But I'm now getting massive shedding, basically if i tug on my hair, i see plenty of hairs falling out. So I'm guessing it was a bad idea to use this shampoo? I've now stopped using this shampoo but is it worth using a regular colouring dye (eg Rusty's in UK) which you only apply once every 3-6 weeks and is Ammonia free? Or is ALL hair dye potentially bad for hair, ammonia free or not?

Many thanks!

Between my last two HT's I would use this product sporadically. The last time, using it a few days in a row, this coincided with a period of weeks where my scalp became irritated and itchy. I'd scratch and have dandruff fall out.

The timing could be a coincidence, but HTs and hair growth don't go good together. Best to do what you can until your results are in.

My surgeon specified not using any hair colouring for a year.

Avoid hair dyes for a bit.  Some chemicals can be really harsh on grafts.  I know another person going through same thing with that hairgx.  They use another dye now with no effects.  You never know if you are allergic to the ingredients.  Have you reached out to a dermatologist?  May be good to get it looked at.  Best of luck